3RR/KDS, What Do You Think?

Hard heads

Post by Hard heads » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:55 am

4D, I said I would draft whereever and whenever and will do so with no problem. I just said I see no need for a change. I now see the stats for 2 years and I understand it may be unfair due to the advantage of getting LT/LJ and the 28/29 picks as well, but you still haver to hit on those picks. Even with the 1/28/42 picks, you still have to hit to win. As I said, change it if you can and kudos to you for believeing so strongly in it. Doesn't make me wrong for feeling it is fine the way it is.

UFS,
No I have never played in a 14 team league. One good reason why I am joining here. I have played in a league that didn't do double serpentine or even 3RR, it was a league that weighted every draft slot so that each draft slot was fairly close in there average draft spot. It was a pain in the ass to plan for, but it was fair and more fair then reversing one round. I do understand all of your points, doesn't mean it is compelling enough to agree is all. I am not wrong, nor are you guys.
renman,
Thanks for the heads up, you're an honest and fair guy and I like that. LOL Just kidding man. I could see the certain egos that try and dominate the message boards from the day I showed up on "black friday" looking for a new home. I typically don't get involved in message board debates because I don't articulate well in writing and tend to get beat up pretty easily. I also don't sit around reearching all the numbers trying to re-create the wheel year after year. Kudos to those that do, I have a life and a family to take care of and I think Greg and Tom get paid to run the league, but if others want to spend their free time helping out then more power to them. I am impressed with all of the time and effort put in by some, but my head will be no closer to being up their asses for it. I will just go back to reading and commenting to myself as I have no desire to spend the time needed to do the research that the dedicated few have done, so there arguments will have backing while mine are mainly from the heart. But, thanks for the heads up on the ego clique.

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:40 am

100% of the top 28 comes from slots 1-14, I think the distribution is perfect.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:41 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:

By the way im one of the seven guys in the 23 leagues who took TOMILSON.
lol... Darn, would have liked to have been in one of the 16 leagues he didn't get taken; would have been a great 18th round pick!! :eek:
(Guessing you meant with the 1st overall pick??)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:13 am

Originally posted by Hard heads:
4D, I said I would draft whereever and whenever and will do so with no problem. I just said I see no need for a change. I now see the stats for 2 years and I understand it may be unfair due to the advantage of getting LT/LJ and the 28/29 picks as well, but you still haver to hit on those picks. Even with the 1/28/42 picks, you still have to hit to win. As I said, change it if you can and kudos to you for believeing so strongly in it. Doesn't make me wrong for feeling it is fine the way it is.

UFS,
No I have never played in a 14 team league. One good reason why I am joining here. I have played in a league that didn't do double serpentine or even 3RR, it was a league that weighted every draft slot so that each draft slot was fairly close in there average draft spot. It was a pain in the ass to plan for, but it was fair and more fair then reversing one round. I do understand all of your points, doesn't mean it is compelling enough to agree is all. I am not wrong, nor are you guys.
renman,
Thanks for the heads up, you're an honest and fair guy and I like that. LOL Just kidding man. I could see the certain egos that try and dominate the message boards from the day I showed up on "black friday" looking for a new home. I typically don't get involved in message board debates because I don't articulate well in writing and tend to get beat up pretty easily. I also don't sit around reearching all the numbers trying to re-create the wheel year after year. Kudos to those that do, I have a life and a family to take care of and I think Greg and Tom get paid to run the league, but if others want to spend their free time helping out then more power to them. I am impressed with all of the time and effort put in by some, but my head will be no closer to being up their asses for it. I will just go back to reading and commenting to myself as I have no desire to spend the time needed to do the research that the dedicated few have done, so there arguments will have backing while mine are mainly from the heart. But, thanks for the heads up on the ego clique. Craig, you'll be fine here with our outspoken friends and I promise no "black fridays" in the NFFC next year! :D The 3RR could balance out the draft spots a little and I think you'll agree that it will make getting a later pick a little less painful when the draft slots are announced. In fact, I trust now a lot of people will put 14, 13 and 12 as favored spots in their KDS preferences. I am sure that the smartest fantasy football owners who have the fewest injuries will still win in 2007 if we go this route.

Now easy on Craig, boys, as he just signed up for our baseball event and he's already signed up for 2007 in the NFFC!! We need more "converts" like him who are willing to try both high-stakes events and maybe win it all in both. He's already in line for the $200,000 in the WCOFF and he promises to spend most of his winnings with us in the future! :D Good luck Craig and welcome again.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:26 am

For the record, all of the 2004 records of our top finishers during our debut season can be found by clicking on your Overall Standings link and going to Total after Week 13. Year One in the NFFC was less favorable to the top teams, which gives merit to those who feel the last two years of data are skewed. Here's the data of the top 22 teams (we had 224 that year):

No. 1 - 2 teams
No. 2 - 1
No. 3 - 1
No. 4 - 2
No. 6 - 1
No. 7 - 2
No. 8 - 4
No. 9 - 1
No. 11 - 1
No. 12 - 2
No. 13 - 3
No. 14 - 2

That's a balanced 18% of Top 22 teams from the first three spots and an unbalanced total of 32% from the last three spots. Our overall champion and regular season champion both came from the 13th spot that year. Going a little further, 15 of the Top 50 teams came from the top three spots (30%), a slight increase once we got off the top teams.

There's no doubt that 2004 was less favorable to teams that drafted in the first three spots, while 2005 and 2006 numbers show stronger numbers for the top. Just more facts for all to chew on.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:33 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Just more facts for all to chew on. btw, don't forget this fact, 2004 was the first year for this event. there were many newbies to the 14 team format. if there was a year for crazy draft slot stats, that would be the year.

once folks were experienced in the 14 team format (2005 and 2006), the stats regressed to the mean...ie...top draft slots are the most valuable.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:38 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Just more facts for all to chew on. btw, don't forget this fact, 2004 was the first year for this event. there were many newbies to the 14 team format. if there was a year for crazy draft slot stats, that would be the year.

once folks were experienced in the 14 team format (2005 and 2006), the stats regressed to the mean...ie...top draft slots are the most valuable.
[/QUOTE]I'm going to disagree a bit here. Of course everyone was newbies here, but so many of those guys are still with us and they were veteran players when they signed up. 2004 saw Daunte Culpepper and some later picks have big-time seasons. It also was a year when there weren't dominating top picks as Priest went down to injury and Ahman Green was actually one of the top picks.

It's proof that you can win from anywhere in a 14-team format. :D But if with 3RR that year, it's unlikely that 19 of the top 32 teams would have come from any set of three-team tiers, even 12-14.

renman

Post by renman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:43 am

Gekko,

You are kidding with that post right? I know you have an agenda, and are trying to push for draft slot allocation change. But to say NFFC 2004 somehow does not count because the stats do not support your position (for all I know maybe they do support it) by saying newbies drafted oddly because of the format is kind of silly.

When I drafted in the NFFC in 2004 it was my 14th year in fantasy football. I have to imagine I was not alone to having experience with the concept of a serpentine draft. I remember every single owner but one drafting Holmes with the first pick in NYC and he destroyed every single team that year.

There is SOME evidence that CERTAIN SEASONS there is an advantage being at the top of the board (slight) assuming you make good decisions after taking a stud that produces. We finally have come up with a concept (3RR) that might be reasonable for this event, but please do not make it seem like seasons that do not support your position in some way don't count.

This year one player is having the greatest season in the history of fantasy football. Can we at least admit that and admit this is not the norm and does not happen every year or actually ANY year prior to this one? lol

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:55 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
. In fact, I trust now a lot of people will put 14, 13 and 12 as favored spots in their KDS preferences.

[/QB]Right behind picks # 1 & 2... ;)

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:02 am

Originally posted by renman:
Gekko,

You are kidding with that post right? I know you have an agenda, and are trying to push for draft slot allocation change. But to say NFFC 2004 somehow does not count because the stats do not support your position (for all I know maybe they do support it) by saying newbies drafted oddly because of the format is kind of silly.

It really isn't renman. What gekko states has merit. Who the hell was drafting in 14 team leagues before the NFFC came along ? Not many I can assure you. There is a learning curve involved and now the majority of the players are following a similar winning gameplan. No one is drafting Qb's or Wr's with the 1st 5/6 picks anymore. They are pounding RB RB RB RB RB - in search of the most rare and valuable player - the 25-30 pt per game RB.

Q