FF is a science...

Greg Ambrosius

FF is a science...

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:46 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote: ...Greg, you mean 28, not 280, right?...SNAKE [/QB][/QUOTE]If we went 20 rounds instead of 18 rounds, that would be 28 more players out of the free agent pool than we currently have for a total of 280 players throughout the year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

FF is a science...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:47 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
There definitely is a skill to this game and some folks have it. But the tougher competition you seek, the harder it is for that skill to be marginally better than other peoples' skills. good point greg!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

FF is a science...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:49 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Is it our goal to keep the FAAB process intact or have the best game in the land?

Are they mutually exclusive? listen the 18 man roster is a limitation of having 14 team leagues. fantasy football shouldn't be all about draft day, and that's exactly what it would be if rosters were increased to 20.

if you want a large bench play in the DC format.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:50 am

Even if the rosters were 20 how does this cripple the FA market?

I mean if there were 28 players so valuable, wouldn't they be picked up in the first week or two?

There have been great FA pickups available 3 weeks into this event. No way would they have been protected on rosters of 20.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

FF is a science...

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:51 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
When I originally wrote the NFFC rules, I did call for 20-man rosters, but through much discussion with our first-year players like GG, KOQ and others, we settled at 18 players and have had 18 players through all four seasons. Personally, I think 20 players per team would decrease the free agent pool as it would take 280 players out of action.Right you are, Greg. While it would be nice to carry one or two extra players on your roster, the league size makes that all but impossible. Imagine trying to get through the bye weeks with the best 28 free agents off the board. Yucko.

I would still like to see the roster size increase for the playoffs, even if by only one spot. Having the ability to carry a 3rd QB, a backup TE, an extra kicker or even a supplemental defense would be ideal.
[/QUOTE]Agreed. I know where Russ is coming from as we'd all like to have spare change in our pocket each day. But having two extra bodies on reserve would kill the free agent part of the game. Plus, I think everyone has to look at the bye weeks closely before Draft Day and plan accordingly when they construct their team. With only eight reserves and some weeks where six teams are on byes at the same time, roster management is a BIG part of the NFFC competition. Yes, it's impossible to plan accordingly for injuries, but the weekly decisions over drops and adds needs to remain a big part of our contest and going to 20 players per team and 280 overall would cripple free agency in the NFFC.

I think adding to the playoff roster makes sense, but I haven't found the right way to do it yet. Allowing folks to add two players in Week 13 FAAB would be confusing and tough to explain. Some teams would get additional players and some wouldn't. Doing it in Week 12 would affect the regular season too much. I guess I'll have to think this through harder, but currently I don't see a perfect way to do this yet.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

FF is a science...

Post by King of Queens » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:53 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Even if the rosters were 20 how does this cripple the FA market?

I mean if there were 28 players so valuable, wouldn't they be picked up in the first week or two?

There have been great FA pickups available 3 weeks into this event. No way would they have been protected on rosters of 20. Under the current format, there's always someone available that can help you -- even marginally. If you get hit with a rash of injuries in the same week, you have a chance to win your upcoming matchup with an 18-man roster. With 20-man rosters, you're almost certainly cooked.

[ October 01, 2007, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: King of Queens ]

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:02 am

Greg, I don't look it as spare change. I look it as rewarding the player who spends countless hours preparing and scouting for hidden gems. With a limited roster, this is extremely tough to do as you already have to prepare for BYEs, RBBC, and normal backups.

I'm not trying to upset the apple cart. I haven't been here since this thing started, I'm just trying to give my perspective.

Players like D. Ward, D. Wynn, S. MacDonald, Andre Davis, A. Stecker would likely still be available with 20 man rosters.

As an example, through 2 weeks of FAAB in Tampa 1, there were only 26 FAs picked up total. so, I don't see how this "cripples" the FA pool?!

Again, this is just a conversation and no need to flame here.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:05 am

I guess if the idea is to make the game enjoyable and fair throughout the season for the most players then this current format is most desired by the ownership.

It certainly levels the playing field, much like the salary cap was put in to create parity in the NFL.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:07 am

I can also see how the current format rewards the player who is lucky in the first week or two regarding injuries.

As an example, if I suffer no injuries through 2 weeks, but player A does and has to use his FAAB $$$ then I am at an advantage when the next big FA comes along in week 3 or beyond.

Make sense?

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:08 am

Keep in mind I approach this from both sides of the fence as I have teams that have been affected by injuries and not with the NFFC as I have a total of 5 teams.