Can't Make Live Events? Call Us

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:25 am

I would prefer this be an option saved for emergency situations and hardship cases. I would rather this not be a regular option.

When the stakes are this high, the playing field must be as level as possible for all of the participants. Perceived or real, there could be an advantage to drafting at home.

At the live drafts we encounter space restrictions, noise issues and the pressure of being IN that room when the ball drops (this has all been stated/listed nicely by many already). Some folks do not do well in those situations but might be able to perform at a higher level at home in a more sterile environment. Fair?

I have drafted 2 of 4 times in the NFFC with phone in drafters and never gave it another thought. In 2005 the teams on both sides of me were phone in and that was actually really nice for me. I had a ton of room and felt really comfortable. Last year Moyer was the last minute phone addition and seeing his name did not make me feel too comfortable. ;)

I know the NFFC wants to do everything possible to make sure that EVERYONE gets a chance to play and I applaud them for that effort but sometimes you have to draw the line somewhere....

This is a PREMIUM LIVE EVENT! Every effort should be made to keep it such. A separate online Championship is the way to go for the folks who cannot make it to or afford to travel to the LIVE draft.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:34 am

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
Regarding the phone-in issue...

Here is my situation: It looks like my work is going to prevent my travel to Vegas this year. I am very disappointed. I have informed Greg of my situation and asked to be considered for the phone option.

Does it provide an advantage?: I am looking for any benefit I can. Maybe it will provide some sort of edge. But, I doubt it. I will be using the same list and it is unlikely that breaking news will hit in the middle of the draft that elevates Charlie Batch to the number one fantasy QB. More likely, I will be less able to predict my opponents selections. Time will tell. Perhaps phone in callers could have a Kentucky Derby pentalty or something if this is really a concern.

How I feel about it: I am very happy that I will still get to play. But, I also feel like I have already lost out on the best part of the NFFC. I have never won (yet!), so, the only sure thing is the fun of a Vegas weekend. Seeing some friends I have made in the league. And the rush of drafting with the best. Last year I was in a great league with some awsome opponents. I would like to shake their hands and say "great season". That will not happen on the phone.

Bottom line: I need and want this option. I do not want it to become the norm. I do think on the phone drafters should have a small penalty. I suggest that they get no #1 KDS selection. I want this rule, not because I think there is an adnvantage to drafting from home, but rather because I don't want the live event to slowly become extinct!

Comments? Interesting idea. I'd modify it though, and suggest that KDS is run without the phone-in players and they receive the slot or slots that are left after KDS in run. Just a small incentive for players to be at the events, but not an unfair disadvantage if they can't make it.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:43 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
quote: 3. If my pre-game meal doesn't agree with me, I can make a quick trip to the restroom whenever I want and my buddies can keep track of the draft. At a live event, the trip to the restroom will take longer and if I don't have a co-manager, I'll fall behind. Trying to wait until the next break, while trying to hold it in, is distracting and will take away from my concentration.
You can even take your laptop into the crapper and not miss a beat! [/QUOTE]Nice visual -- now we know why Travis Henry wound up on your team!

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:10 am

One more comment: If the number of phone drafters reaches 14 or more, then it would make sense to me to put them all in their own leagues rather than interspersing them among different live leagues, if at all possible.

Interspersing the phone drafters would result in some live leagues having phone drafters and some not. This could lead to the perception that there's somehow an unlevel playing field. If phone drafters were instead concentrated in their own league(s), at least those 12-14 players would be competing against each other under the same set of circumstances.

To be honest, I really don't have an opinion on it although if given the choice, I'd rather draft against live drafters because of the friendships that develop (which doesn't happen with phone drafters.) This is why many people come to live drafts in the first place, IMO. Putting the phone drafters in their own leagues (to the extent possible) would, I think, lessen most people's perception that there is some "unfair" advantage of drafting from home.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:24 am

Putting all of the phone in drafters in one league would NOT be fair. It would not keep the system RANDOM which IMO, is the most important aspect in maintaining the integrity of a multi-league event. (as much as possible that is)

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:25 am

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. If my pre-game meal doesn't agree with me, I can make a quick trip to the restroom whenever I want and my buddies can keep track of the draft. At a live event, the trip to the restroom will take longer and if I don't have a co-manager, I'll fall behind. Trying to wait until the next break, while trying to hold it in, is distracting and will take away from my concentration.

You can even take your laptop into the crapper and not miss a beat!

Nice visual -- now we know why Travis Henry wound up on your team!
One grunt too many. That fantasy turd did wreak havoc with my colon last year. I need more fiber in my FF diet!

For the Henry issue this year I have wrapped my laptop in a special "draft" condom to remind me not to draft him. ;)

[ July 21, 2008, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Ted's Cracked Head ]

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:00 am

Putting all of the phone in drafters in one league would NOT be fair. It would not keep the system RANDOM which IMO, is the most important aspect in maintaining the integrity of a multi-league event. (as much as possible that is) Good point, Rob. I didn't think about the lack of "randomness" in League assignments.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 am

Just an FYI that we are getting more and more folks calling to ask about the phone connection for our two main events. We have everything from NFFC veterans who are going to weddings that day and can't make the live events but will pick on the phone beforehand to folks who just can't find an affordable plane ticket to their destination asking if they can use the phone option. Some are even apologizing for asking about this, but they don't have to.

The phone option is available for each main event contest, so just contact me at 715-445-4612, ext. 13284 or at 513-722-5310 if you're interested. Or contact me at [email protected]. If this is the only way you can compete in the main event, no problem as we'll get it done. Thanks all and good luck.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Quick 6

Post by Quick 6 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:21 am

Does the phone in system allow the drafter to "hear" the picks?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:24 am

Originally posted by dak:
Does the phone in system allow the drafter to "hear" the picks? Yes, yes, of course. The facilitator will holler out each pick and it's your job to keep track of all of the picks. We just can't send the free beer through the phone, that's all!! :D

There is no spot on the signup page to sign up for the phone option, so anyone who wants to do this must call me at 513-722-5310 (cell) or e-mail me at [email protected]. We can guarantee you a spot in the event this way, but contact me if you're interested. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius