Owen Daniels

bobsgym13

Owen Daniels

Post by bobsgym13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:55 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
Now all the arm chair QB’s are chiming in saying he was really a 3rd or 4th round pick. Please. On Sept 5th he was a consensus 7th rounder and on Oct 31st he would have been a consensus 3-4th rounder.

Who said otherwise?

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Ted's Cracked Head

Owen Daniels

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:08 am

Owens going down cost a team anywhere from 5-10 points per week.

With 5 weeks left of the regular season that could mean up to 50 points that is now lost.

That could be the difference in having a shot at 100K or not.

To me, that is a serious blow at this time of the season for some teams.

The other side is that we know it takes a "Monster Week" over the course of weeks 14-16 to separate yourself from the pack and take home the big prize. Daniels was ONE of a few TEs who have that POTENTIAL every single week. Losing him and replacing him with a TE who will get his 3-6 catches and 30-50 yards is ok, but definitely not the same as having Daniels who IS an integral part of the Texans offense.

This year Daniels has posted games of 14.8, 19.2, 17.4, 26.8 and 25.3. Those are scores that I would love to have a chance for over weeks 14-16.

Yes, in his other three games this year he has failed to post 10 points but the potential for the "Monster Week" cannot be underscored here.

That is why I stand pat with my thought that his loss could be the difference between cashing and feeling like a Cubs fan every October.

Note: Jules, I hope it is ok that I used the term "Monster Week" here as I borrowed it from the www.fantasyfreakinfootball.com site.

[ November 02, 2009, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Rob B ]
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

KOTRAX

Owen Daniels

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:08 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
If your 7th round pick was the KEY TO YOUR SEASON, then yes, you might be hurt more than most Daniels owners. However, if you did a good job at drafting rounds 1-6 and you drafted/FAAB’d a decent backup TE, then you are still in good shape. Teams that were operating without a safety net (no depth) are most hurt. I assume there are owners that do indeed have a decent backup plan. Kudos to them. If I am understanding Gekko correctly, I think I agree with him and he is correct in what he is trying to say.

What I do NOT think he is trying to say is that Daniels is not an important part of a winning roster. Of course he is. On many teams, he maybe the single biggest point contributor, especially in relations to his draft spot (7th round or so). Losing Daniels will obviously hurt. Even if he was somehow a team's backup TE behind Dallas Clark, losing depth hurts too.

Gekko's point is that losing your 7th round pick should not be the downfall owners who build strong rosters, whether via the draft or free agency. These owners made sure they have quality depth at all positions whenever possible. I'm sure there are teams with players like V.Davis, Shockey, Celek, H.Miller and Shiancoe behind Daniels who will all make for great backups. Other owners did not backup Daniels, whether by choice or by circumstance and they will suffer.

Prior to the start of the season, I don't think too many owners would say that losing their 7th round pick would be the difference maker between winning and losing. If its truly the difference maker now, then the responsibility lies with the owner not being prepared.
[/QUOTE]TO A POINT THAT IS TRUE ALEX. HOWEVER I BELIEVE THAT LEAGUES ARE WON AND LOST BETWEEN ROUND SIX AND EIGHT.

REASON BEING IS THAT 90% OF DRAFTS ARE GOING TO BE THE SAME BETWEEN ROUNDS 1-4.5.

TRUE SOME PEOPLE ARE GOING TO REACH FOR PLAYERS EARLY BUT FOR THE MOST PART THE ADP IS GOING TO FALL IN PLACE GIVE OR TAKE A PLAYER HERE AND THERE.

NOW AS ROUNDS SIX THROUGH EIGHT COME IS WHEN OWNERS START TO HAVE DIFFERENCES OF OPINION.

Nag'

Owen Daniels

Post by Nag' » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 am

Originally posted by Rob B:
Owens going down cost a team anywhere from 5-10 points per week.

With 5 weeks left of the regular season that could mean up to 50 points that is now lost.
Heading into this week, Daniels ppg average was just under 17. It's also important to note that his ppg average was only 13.32 through the first 5 weeks. His Week 6 & 7 games were monsterous, raising his average to 17. I think it's realistic that he would've come back to earth slightly and his average would've leveled off somewhere around 15 ppg.

That would on par with V.Davis ppg and a point or so higher than B.Celek's and H.Miller's ppg. All three could've been backups to Daniels and probably are on some teams. Even with lesser TEs as backups, the ppg difference doesn't get much beyond the 5 ppg range.

There will certainly be teams that lose close to 10 ppg at the TE position with the loss of Daniels but that proves one thing: that those owners did not have a viable backup at that position.
For Players. By Players.

Eddiejag

Owen Daniels

Post by Eddiejag » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 am

I drafted Daniels in two leagues and backed him up with Zach Miller in both.Now i need Zach to avg 10 points a week and should be ok. I HOPE.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

BillyWaz

Owen Daniels

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:56 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
I drafted Daniels in two leagues and backed him up with Zach Miller in both.Now i need Zach to avg 10 points a week and should be ok. I HOPE. You better hope Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady get traded to Oakland......and fast!!!! :D

Jamarcus is killing any value that anyone COULD have on that team. :(

Coltsfan

Owen Daniels

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 am

I guess since I drafted Schaub in the 8th and Burleson in the 9th it wouldn't hurt if they go down but it does hurt me with getting Boldin in the 2nd round and he might be missing some time?

GG, I wish I had my team so deep that I could do without a player at any given position and it wouldn't hurt but unfortunately that isn't the case. Call it bad drafting or bad luck - your choice. :D Im just kidding you there but if I lost Witten it would hurt bad and we wasn't putting up anywhere near the numbers of Daniels.

Wayne