Live Scoring

Greg Ambrosius

Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:19 am

Okay, the decision has been made. Under our current scoring format, the Deion Branch fumble is a non-scoring play. It was not a fumble on a run, reception or pass, thus Deion Branch will not have a -1 point assessed to him. STATS will make this change manually soon and you will see the change in the team scoring before the end of the week.

Going forward, STATS will have to implement this scoring change manually from here on out as their stats do not decipher when the fumble occurs. So Tom and I will have to watch this closely and we ask everyone else to watch this for us. Should Dante Hall fumble on a kickoff or punt return, the live scoring will automatically take a point away from his scoring total. We will then alert STATS on Monday and have them manually make that scoring change. Sorry, but that's the way it works for now.

I thank everyone for their input and we are interpreting our scoring system accurately now. It's possible that next year we could give the special teams a -1 for every lost fumble, but we'll leave that for a later discussion. For now, this is the interpretation of our scoring rules.

I knew there was no way to interpret every scoring possibility, but we'll make the right decisions as they occur. Thanks again everyone for your input and your thoughts.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Liquid_Madness

Live Scoring

Post by Liquid_Madness » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:22 am

If a player can not receive points for special teams, there is no way you can subtract points for special teams play... There is no logic to that.... and I have used numerous other websites for fantasy football in other (local/friends) leagues and NEVER has there been a problem with distinguishing between special teams stats and rushing/receiving stats....

And the league rules clearly state there is a -1 for rushing and receiving fumbles lost.... nothing under special teams/defense....

This is simply a no-brainer.
2006 Draft:
RB
Edge, Dunn, Duckett, M. Anderson, R. Moats, D. Davis
WR
Roy Williams, J. Walker D. Jackson, Troy Williamson, R. Ferguson, P. Price, Si. Moss
QB
A. Brooks, D. Brees
J. Stevens TE
L. Tynes K
NE Def

La Jolla

Live Scoring

Post by La Jolla » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:22 am

thanks greg. it's the right decision based on the rules.

Liquid_Madness

Live Scoring

Post by Liquid_Madness » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:23 am

Oops... sorry... Greg.. I must have posted as you were... didn't see the offcial decision before I pushed send....

By the way great decision.
2006 Draft:
RB
Edge, Dunn, Duckett, M. Anderson, R. Moats, D. Davis
WR
Roy Williams, J. Walker D. Jackson, Troy Williamson, R. Ferguson, P. Price, Si. Moss
QB
A. Brooks, D. Brees
J. Stevens TE
L. Tynes K
NE Def

Greg Ambrosius

Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:34 am

Okay, back to the main point about this thread: The live scoring.

STATS fixed a few bugs in the live scoring today and all should be good for the weekend. As JP stated earlier in this thread, the live scoring didn't match the accurate total on your team listing last night. I'm computer illiterate, so I don't understand the reasons, but Jim Pollard at STATS says they figured out what went wrong last night and all is good now.

We also changed the way defensive/special teams was appearing within the live scoring. It was programmed to show your defense starting the game with six points and then shaving off three points when an opposing team scored (thus avoiding the shutout) and then going down to 0 once an opposing team scored more than 7 points. That's obviously the way to do it, but it doesn't help you as you're tracking live scoring. So STATS will leave the defensive/special teams scoring at 0 for the live scoring until the game is finished and then add whatever points for a shutout and 1-7 points allowed is needed. The points for turnovers, sacks and safeties will be added as they happen, however. Hope that helps.

Again, some teams e-mailed me and said they had 6 defensive points on the live scoring without their teams playing yet. The explanation above tells you why that was happening. But it will be changed to 0 later today.

Hope this helps everyone. And thanks again.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:36 am

Yeah, you guys are so loving. Now does anyone mind if I go golfing instead of answering these posts? :D

I have three rounds of golf in this summer!!! That's just totally unacceptable to a golf freak like myself. I promise there will be more than three rounds of golf in September, even if I have to golf through snow.

But for now I'm all yours. Enjoy me while you have me. ;)

TamuScarecrow

Live Scoring

Post by TamuScarecrow » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:48 am

Thanks for the quick response, Greg. I don't know how this thread digressed from Liquid and JP patting themselves on the back for drafting NE players to several Supreme Court justices ruling on a bad play but I'm glad you took care of it. For what it's worth I think they out to deduct all of his points for getting within five yards of that punt. :D
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

TamuScarecrow

Live Scoring

Post by TamuScarecrow » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:52 am

And Greg, the invite to come to Myrtle Beach for a week of golfing still stands!!
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Greg Ambrosius

Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:27 am

Rick, you know I'm going to try to find a way to take you up on that offer. I think we'd have some fun together down there.

I agree with you on Branch. What was he thinking even going near that ball? Hell, it would have been about a 20-yard punt!! But he did allow us to figure out this scoring situation and now we're good for awhile. I'm sure something else will come up, but we'll do our best to handle it right.

richieprimo

Live Scoring

Post by richieprimo » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:20 pm

Greg. I think you're barking up the wrong tree (Branch) by trying to elucidate the bliss of a nice round of golf to these fantasy-obsessed "single point" theorist's. I mean really, do you think some of these guys could actually spend 4-5 hours away from their PC's, and possibly miss out on some breaking news about a Patrick Hape hangnail or the like? I love fantasy football as much as the next guy, but FOUR frikkin' pages of pontification about a single point discrepancy? Earth can be a nice place to visit every so often. :rolleyes:
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.