KDS

CoMoHusker

Re: KDS

Post by CoMoHusker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:42 am

Sandman62 wrote:I'm pretty sure KDS doesn't run "weekS" before drafts, but rather, ONE week? Yes, some things can change within that week, but I'd hardly call that "many". That being the case, I think the majority of players ADPs don't move much, if at all, that last week. IMO, the current one week system is fine.

What I'd still like to see added though would be date filters on the ADP lists. That way, we could look at only the past week, and maybe past month, to see a movement trend.
+1
Go Big Red!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:29 am

Coyote Streakers wrote:I personally like getting draft slots at the table but I realize that's not feasible for all leagues, I would however recommend it for the individual leagues or larger leagues done in Vegas. I agree with Chad in that whats the point of KDS if its selected weeks before hand? The last week or two before Vegas is when you see the most movement on draft boards. In my opinion it is much harder to lay out a plan many weeks ahead of your draft because you really dont know how the board will fall until it gets real close to Vegas time and players are pretty much locked into where they go. I know logistically KDS for mains probably cant happen real close but I think they should. Also how do you mock for drafts weeks ahead when so many things change up until draft day? If they point of KDS is to preference your most desirable spot dont you want to have a great idea of where your players your targeting are going? Anyways good discussion but I am definitely in the camp of wanting KDS pushed back as close as you logistically can for a game operator.
Just to clarify, last year we did try to give draft spots exactly 7 days in advance of the scheduled Classic or Primetime draft, and we were consistent with that. It allowed owners who were in say a Sept. 5th Primetime to know his draft spot before setting his Sept. 6th or Sept. 7th KDS. We've done it 7 days in advance to allow folks to mock draft from their given spots, but that doesn't mean that is the perfect time frame. As the information age changes, maybe we need to be more flexible, too. I do think it's a worthy discussion and one in which we think there is room to improve this setup. That being said, at some point everyone in that league has the same information on hand to set their KDS preferences for that time frame and after that it's a matter of who can execute their plan the best. Things can always change, but let's find a happy medium where change is minimal for everyone.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:37 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Coyote Streakers wrote:I personally like getting draft slots at the table but I realize that's not feasible for all leagues, I would however recommend it for the individual leagues or larger leagues done in Vegas. I agree with Chad in that whats the point of KDS if its selected weeks before hand? The last week or two before Vegas is when you see the most movement on draft boards. In my opinion it is much harder to lay out a plan many weeks ahead of your draft because you really dont know how the board will fall until it gets real close to Vegas time and players are pretty much locked into where they go. I know logistically KDS for mains probably cant happen real close but I think they should. Also how do you mock for drafts weeks ahead when so many things change up until draft day? If they point of KDS is to preference your most desirable spot dont you want to have a great idea of where your players your targeting are going? Anyways good discussion but I am definitely in the camp of wanting KDS pushed back as close as you logistically can for a game operator.
Just to clarify, last year we did try to give draft spots exactly 7 days in advance of the scheduled Classic or Primetime draft, and we were consistent with that. It allowed owners who were in say a Sept. 5th Primetime to know his draft spot before setting his Sept. 6th or Sept. 7th KDS. We've done it 7 days in advance to allow folks to mock draft from their given spots, but that doesn't mean that is the perfect time frame. As the information age changes, maybe we need to be more flexible, too. I do think it's a worthy discussion and one in which we think there is room to improve this setup. That being said, at some point everyone in that league has the same information on hand to set their KDS preferences for that time frame and after that it's a matter of who can execute their plan the best. Things can always change, but let's find a happy medium where change is minimal for everyone.
Meeting in the middle sounds fair enough to me.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:12 am

As long as meeting in the middle this year doesn't then turn into meeting in the middle again NEXT year and so on until Chad and Nelson and their 50-100 leagues get exactly what they want.

IMHO, the majority should rule here - and by that, I mean "majority of OWNERS [not just those on the MB]", not "majority of owned teams".

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:18 am

Sandman62 wrote:As long as meeting in the middle this year doesn't then turn into meeting in the middle again NEXT year and so on until Chad and Nelson and their 50-100 leagues get exactly what they want.

IMHO, the majority should rule here - and by that, I mean "majority of OWNERS [not just those on the MB]", not "majority of owned teams".
Easy there Mike. What happened to the friendly discussion of making the game as good as it can be?

Again, I'm not against hearing the opinions of everyone and tweaking our setup to make them as fair as they can be. Nobody else is using KDS and we all want it to work as best as it can for all owners. I have a feeling we will do just that.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:48 am

This is straight off the Classic rules (Primetime is the same.....except it says 120 teams)....

"The NFFC will randomly select the leagues and the draft orders of each league once all entries have been submitted by city. For instance, if the NFFC receives 140 entries for the main event in Las Vegas, we’ll put all 140 names into a computer program and select in order: League 1, pick 1 is John Smith; League 1, pick 2 is John Doe, League 1, pick 3 is Jane Andrews, etc. until all 140 names have been selected. We will do this in each city for all of the leagues"

I read that as once it is filled, draft spots will be selected based on KDS.

Again, I am in favor of getting them AT THE TABLE, and wouldn't be opposed to getting them as close to the live drafts as possible, but I don't see how you can change the rules with about 2 months to go with all of the current signups?

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:02 am

I'm all for continuing to make improvements Greg, and I commend you and Tom for your openness and willingness to listen. And like others, I'll adjust to however this shakes out, despite my preference. (And I won't even stoop to calling the other side's opinion "garbage" - cuz that would be unfriendly. ;))

As of now, at least in this small-sampling thread, it's dead even at 8 each way. I hope you'll consider an email poll of the entire NFFC community and not just rely on the loudest voices here on the board.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:31 am

Put me down for the 5-7 day ahead of the draft camp.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 am

Sandman62 wrote:As long as meeting in the middle this year doesn't then turn into meeting in the middle again NEXT year and so on until Chad and Nelson and their 50-100 leagues get exactly what they want.

Mike I know you have always questioned my motives and probably feel I have a hidden agenda. In the past you questioned how I can give fantasy advice and play in High Stakes leagues basically insinuating that I would give false information to subscribers to benefit myself. And now today your basically calling me a bully like I have some power to dictate to Greg and Tom how they should run their contest? Seriously man? Enough is enough.

I only commented on this thread because Greg asked for opinions and open dialogue. So I put my 2 cents in on how I viewed KDS. It doesn't mean that my opinion or suggestion is right or wrong, it's just an opinion. At no time did I state that it needs to be my way or else I'm taking my ball and going home. Greg and Tom run a damn good contest and I will play here regardless of how KDS is run. I just gave my opinion on how I thought the game could be made better, because they asked. Who gives a shit how many teams someone has? I certainly do not hang that over their heads that I will play less teams here if I don't get my way. I don't roll like that.

Moving forward I ask that you please refrain from using my name when making your smart ass comments on the boards. I don't appreciate it as I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone questioning your integrity. Thank you
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 am

I apologize for lumping you in with Cocktails on this. You've certainly kept it civil. But HE certainly implied that his decsion on how many leagues he'll do is affected by whether or not this rule gets changed. He's also been pretty clear in his opinion that opposite opinions are "garbage". Again, sorry for confusing the two of you on this.

I have no idea what either of your motives are in this beyond just having a preference and opinion. Nor do I care. I also know I'm not the only one who is coming away from this thread with the conclusion that the NFFC could lose a valuable customer if this doesn't go their way. Personally, I'd rather stick to the topic and not have to hear about such implied weighting of votes (again, not by you).

No hard feelings.
Last edited by Sandman62 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.