Titans-Patriots

williamhare

Titans-Patriots

Post by williamhare » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 am

to summarize, 1)the AZ Cardinals have historically been one of the NFL's classiest franchises.

2) the Pats are pillagers.
I'm neutal on the Pats, but if I lost both Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris within the span of 3 games, I'd prob go to the air too........ sorry if someone already mentioned this.
HMan

rkulaski

Titans-Patriots

Post by rkulaski » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Originally posted by Renman:
Guys,

All I am saying is that the Pats are the ONLY team who does this. College football has nothing to do with the discussion. They (The Pats) are a low class organization with zero sportsmanship and that is my sole point.

No one said it was against the rules, no one asked if the titans players cared, I am not talking about any of the tangents some of you guys are taking this discussion on.

I am saying that every single other NFL team in the league shifts into conservative mode to run out the clock when games get out of hand...

Other than the Patriots. I understand what you'r saying, just don't agree with your sole point and already listed reasons why (my tangents :rolleyes: ). If you think the pats are low class with zero sportsmanship from the likes of robert kraft all the way down to tom brady, i don't buy it but hey we all have our own opinions. wonder how many pats fans would back you on your last comment :D

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:00 am

Rkulaski,

What do you disagree with?

Did the Pats run up the score last week? Did they regularly do it in 2007? Since we both know the answer is yes, isn't running up the score generally seen an example of poor sportsmanship?

Gk,

We can talk about playing hard for 60 minutes all day long. NFL teams every single week shift into conservative, run out the clock mode, when they get big leads or the game gets out of hand.

Every team team in the NFL operates this way OTHER than the Pats, who have shown a history of trying to ram in a few extra scores solely to pump stats.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:10 am

There is no such thing as "running up the score" in the NFL. Does not exist and should not exist. Its not high school or college athletics where things are indeed very different.

As a fan, I expect my team to try to score EVERY TIME THEY HAVE THE BALL, unless game situation dictates otherwise. On defense, I expect them to stop the other team from scoring every time they are on the field, unless a rare game situation dictates otherwise. I expect this all game long, whether the starters or backups are on the field.

There is an issue of injury risk and when to take your star players out of the game to reduce this risk. Different coaches approach this differently and fans obviously have different opinions on this practice. I understand and agree with this.

But, if I EVER hear a player or the coach of my team say that he didn't try as hard or took the starters out of the game because he wanted to be a "good sportsman" or didn't want to run up the score, that will be the day I question my support of that team.

I am a Giants fan but I believe New England plays the game the way it should be played. Try to crush your opponent for 60 minutes and show no mercy. I expect no less from my Giants. This is what makes the NFL the greatest league in professional sports. I hope this never changes.
For Players. By Players.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:15 am

It must really offend you when Eli takes a knee then.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 am

Nag,

You do realize for that last 20 years (and likely longer) every single NFL team has made efforts to NOT SCORE in an effort to run out the clock and or get off the field when a game has gotten out of hand.

You are aware of this right?

The Patriots are the only NFL team I have seen in the last 20 years at times not doing this.

That is my basic point.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:23 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Nag,

You do realize for that last 20 years (and likely longer) every single NFL team has made efforts to NOT SCORE in an effort to run out the clock and or get off the field when a game has gotten out of hand.

You are aware of this right?

The Patriots are the only NFL team I have seen in the last 20 years at times not doing this.

That is my basic point. I wrote:

"As a fan, I expect my team to try to score EVERY TIME THEY HAVE THE BALL, unless game situation dictates otherwise."

i.e. when trying to run out the clock or winding the game down.

Btw, you are aware of the fact that not a single NFL coach that I know of in the last 20 years (and likely longer) has ever said that he made a concerted effort not to score because the game was out of reach or because he was being a good sportsman.

Yet you continue to persist that this is what the NFL teams do.

You are aware of this, right?

[ October 22, 2009, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Nag' ]
For Players. By Players.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 am

Here is a link to an article where Joe Gibbs says it's poor sportsmanship to run up the score.

Gibbs said it's wrong. But what does he know?

2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:53 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Here is a link to an article where Joe Gibbs says it's poor sportsmanship to run up the score.

Gibbs said it's wrong. But what does he know?

Looks like Gibbs felt really bad about beating the Cardinals 61-7 back in the days and is apologizing for it ever since.

Any article of a coach saying he chose not to score because he didn't want to show up the other team and/or one who pulled his starters because he felt if would be poor sportsmanship to let them play? TIA.
For Players. By Players.