FF is a science...

FIGHTINGNOLES

FF is a science...

Post by FIGHTINGNOLES » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:48 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

2) A 14 team 18 man roster can be very unforgiving when trying to manage bye weeks and injuries I couldn't agree more with this! I think the roster is too limited for the league size. This only favors the less prepared as they now have equal chance to FAs once the season starts!!!

I TOTALLY agree Russ...I think it should be a 20 man roster.

I'd love to see this increased going forward.
[/QUOTE]

renman

FF is a science...

Post by renman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:52 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
[QUOTE]Renman, I'm not trying to belabor the point here, but would you not agree with an 18 man roster, an owner is more likely to pick the guy who can provide points today, rather than an upside guy like Derrick Ward, Shaun MacDonald or Sam Hurd?

Maybe an owner has invested the time to find guys like this who could provide points, but doesn't have the roster space to secure him?

Not everyone goes to the draft thinking of which beer they're going to get with their free tickets.

14 team/18 man rosters FORCE one to be good AND lucky IMHO. I am not sure what you're trying to say. I am one of those owners who invests the time to identify value via the draft. I drafted Colston last year. I drafted Bowe this year. I think an 18 man roster does allow us to chase those type players at the end of the drafts. I am just saying that I personally enjoy a league where team management skills that identify how much to bid on free agents and when is more interesting than all 14 owners just throwing out late draft fliers on guys who might emerge with value due to injuries to others.

I would argue there is more LUCK involved in a 20 man roster as some would luck out with a 19th or 20th round pick becoming useful because a Jacobs, or Cadillac, or whoever gets hurt first.

I am not saying you are wrong, just a differing opinion.

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:56 am

Originally posted by FIGHTINGNOLES:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:

2) A 14 team 18 man roster can be very unforgiving when trying to manage bye weeks and injuries I couldn't agree more with this! I think the roster is too limited for the league size. This only favors the less prepared as they now have equal chance to FAs once the season starts!!!

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]Ummmm.. this is where skill comes in...

18 takes skill...

20 takes much less skill...

The object giving away this type of money is to have it more skill based. We already know there's enough luck in FF out of the control of all.

And don't reply about my lack of injuries this year.

I cashed 3rd place (league)in my first NFFC with Duece, Branch, Julious Jones, and another top 6 pick I can't remember, and two others out for most of the year.

FAAB skill is very underrated in NFFC and the top players know how to use it best.

Why do you think GG pumps all those players? LOL.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

KOTRAX

FF is a science...

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:02 am

Originally posted by renman:
[QUOTE]Renman, I'm not trying to belabor the point here, but would you not agree with an 18 man roster, an owner is more likely to pick the guy who can provide points today, rather than an upside guy like Derrick Ward, Shaun MacDonald or Sam Hurd?

Maybe an owner has invested the time to find guys like this who could provide points, but doesn't have the roster space to secure him?

Not everyone goes to the draft thinking of which beer they're going to get with their free tickets.

14 team/18 man rosters FORCE one to be good AND lucky IMHO. I am not sure what you're trying to say. I am one of those owners who invests the time to identify value via the draft. I drafted Colston last year. I drafted Bowe this year. I think an 18 man roster does allow us to chase those type players at the end of the drafts. I am just saying that I personally enjoy a league where team management skills that identify how much to bid on free agents and when is more interesting than all 14 owners just throwing out late draft fliers on guys who might emerge with value due to injuries to others.

I would argue there is more LUCK involved in a 20 man roster as some would luck out with a 19th or 20th round pick becoming useful because a Jacobs, or Cadillac, or whoever gets hurt first.

I am not saying you are wrong, just a differing opinion.
[/QUOTE]YES REMAN TRUE THERE IS CHALLENGE OF THE 18 MAN ROSTERS. HOWEVER I FEEL IN A STARDARD LEAGUE THAT YOUR ROSTER SHOULD BE DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF PLAYERS THAT IS REQUIRED TO START. DO I THINK ROSTER SIZES SHOULD BE INCREASED? IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER TO ME BUT I SEE BOTH POINTS OF VIEW. SOME PEOPLE DRAFT 1 TE 1 K 1 DEF. GRANTED YOU DO HAVE THE OPTION OF DRAFTING TWO AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO COMFORTABLY AND LEAVE THE SKILL IN IT. WHEN YOU PLAY FOR EXAMPLE SHOCKEY, GOULD AND BEARS D EVERY WEEK BECAUSE THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE WHERE IS YOUR SKILL AT? YOU PLAYED THOSE PLAYERS BECAUSE YOU HAD TO VERSES LOOKING AT THE MATCHUP OR SITUATION AND MAKING THE BETTER CHOICE.

KOTRAX

FF is a science...

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:09 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by FIGHTINGNOLES:

[/QUOTE]

18 takes skill...

The object giving away this type of money is to have it more skill based. We already know there's enough luck in FF out of the control of all.

I cashed 3rd place (league)in my first NFFC with Duece, Branch, Julious Jones, and another top 6 pick I can't remember, and two others out for most of the year.

FAAB skill is very underrated in NFFC and the top players know how to use it best.

[/QUOTE]WELL THAT IS DEBATEABLE AS WELL THAT 18 TAKES MORE SKILL. THIS IS WHY. IN ONE OF MY SATELLITES YESTERDAY I PLAYED A TEAM WITH THE FOLLOWING WR'S:

M. CLAYTON - BALT
D. MASON - BALT
J. WALKER - DEN
P. CRAYTON - DALL
T. WILLIAMSON - MINN
S. SMITH - NYG

NOW SINCE THREE OF HIS RECEIVERS WERE INACTIVE HE HAD TO PLAY CRAYTON AND I GOT BEAT. IT WASN'T SKILL AT ALL THAT IS ALL HE HAD THAT WAS HEALTHY TO PLAY. WITH A LARGER ROSTER SIZE THERE ARE MORE CALLS AND DECISION YOU HAVE TO MAKE VERSUS BEING JUST FORCED INTO A PLAY BECAUSE THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO PLAY.

pizzatyme

FF is a science...

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:10 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by FIGHTINGNOLES:

[/QUOTE]

18 takes skill...

[/QUOTE]Your lack of injuries are contributing to your great "skill" of picking up a guy like M. Smith or B. Calhoun.

Others are scrambling to get starters.

If 18=skill

Then would you agree 15= supreme skill?

Why not completely limit the rosters and make people use their skill every week of the year?

Congrats on the 3rd place finish last year BTW.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

FF is a science...

Post by renman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:10 am

Kotax,

I respect your opinion. I guess I would say that if I had Gould, Bears D, and Shockey it is unlikely I would play their backups any week anyway.

I just think team management, including free agency, should be a big part of the NFFC. Making the rosters bigger would take away from that and make the process of picking up those extra 28 players limited to 19th and 20th round fliers on guys who would only have value due to a huge stroke of luck.

FIGHTINGNOLES

FF is a science...

Post by FIGHTINGNOLES » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:14 am

I respectfully disagree. The SKILLED (ie...prepared) drafters would be using their 19th & 20th picks on players they felt had upside (like Smith & Calhoun in your example), whereas the unprepared "drinkers" mentioned in another post would be calling out McCardell, Moulds, Rod Smith, Meachem, Jarrett, or other Magazine type picks who had clearly underperformed in preseason or were just "names" to fill out their roster. If not, they'd take two Ds & two K's so they "didn't have to worry about byes". I could tell who was prepared at my draft and who wasn't and I definitely think 2 more rds would have benefited the skilled guys.
Just my opinion and I see where yours has merit also in regards to the FA bidding but those who have been hurt by injuries so far and were prepared IMO (like Russ - by the way I've been very lucky so far with injuries, so I'm not "whining" at all here) get unfairly penalized by the smaller rosters....

KOTRAX

FF is a science...

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:17 am

Originally posted by renman:
Kotax,

I respect your opinion. I guess I would say that if I had Gould, Bears D, and Shockey it is unlikely I would play their backups any week anyway.

I just think team management, including free agency, should be a big part of the NFFC. Making the rosters bigger would take away from that and make the process of picking up those extra 28 players limited to 19th and 20th round fliers on guys who would only have value due to a huge stroke of luck. I SEE WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM BUT DOESN'T SEPARATE THE WINNERS AND LOSERS IN FANTASY. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SAID DARN IF MY KICK COULD KICKED MY AT LEAST ONE FG I WOULD HAVE WON VERSES GETTING JUST 2 XP. BEFORE THE GAME YOU PROBABLY KNEW YOUR KICKER HAD A BAD MATCHUP BUT YOU BLOW IT OFF BECAUSE YOU THINK IT IS SO MINISCURE AND YOU JUST PLAY WHAT YOU ARE FORCED TO PLAY. I THINK THE DECISION MAKING SHOULD PLAY A ROLE AS WELL LIKE IN THE SCENARIO I MENTIONED ABOVE.

ultimatefs

FF is a science...

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:17 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
WELL THAT IS DEBATEABLE AS WELL THAT 18 TAKES MORE SKILL. THIS IS WHY. IN ONE OF MY SATELLITES YESTERDAY I PLAYED A TEAM WITH THE FOLLOWING WR'S:

M. CLAYTON - BALT
D. MASON - BALT
J. WALKER - DEN
P. CRAYTON - DALL
T. WILLIAMSON - MINN
S. SMITH - NYG

NOW SINCE THREE OF HIS RECEIVERS WERE INACTIVE HE HAD TO PLAY CRAYTON AND I GOT BEAT. IT WASN'T SKILL AT ALL THAT IS ALL HE HAD THAT WAS HEALTHY TO PLAY. WITH A LARGER ROSTER SIZE THERE ARE MORE CALLS AND DECISION YOU HAVE TO MAKE VERSUS BEING JUST FORCED INTO A PLAY BECAUSE THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO PLAY. [/QB][/quote]

Drafting depth is a skill. Injuries are a part of the game and should be planned for. Thanks for pointing out the drafting skill of this owner.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.