Results of NFFC Rules Survey

Coltsfan

Re: Results of NFFC Rules Survey

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Greg,

I"m fine with everything staying the same including 6 points per passing touchdown. The NFFC has always been a QB driven contest and that's fine. Making it -2 per interception will actually make the top tier QB's even more valuable as well as making the scoring more random. But that's fine if that's what you want.

Wayne

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:21 pm

I missed the change to respond to the survey I still have it in my inbox just too busy with my fantasy teams and didn't notice it until now after season has ended and now I have some time to look at it. What I would have said was the following...

I like the scoring rules as they are now except I would add in players getting credit for punt and kickoff return TDs.

I hate the idea of -2 for INT's, never really liked -1 for INT but have lived with it since it has always been that way.

I don't like that fumles lost are -1 and I don't like any negative points to begin with. Would rather fumbles lost not count against players they don't in other leagues.

I have been saying for years a player who returns a punt or kickoff for a TD should get credit along with the DF as well because if you have a player like Sproles and he is returning a punt or kickoff you have to root against him if you don't get credit for the TD because not only would you not get those points if he scores it takes the ball out of his hands as well for the upcoming drive so you get a double whammy and who in the world wants to root against their own players ?
2023 NFFC Cutline Champion and 4th place ($90,000) (1720 teams)
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion and 4th place ($110,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Don Draper wrote:So the NFFC cutline is 15% and the other contest's cutline is 0% :o

if the cutline % is important in the minds of fantasy owners, i'm assuming there will be a flood of new nffc entrants next year.
I think we have a lot of positives we need to promote about our NFFC contests:

** 13 week regular seasons vs. 11 weeks
** One team can win both the Total Points league prize money and the H2H league prize money
** No head-to-head playoffs for the big league money in Weeks 12 and 13
** Wild card safety nets of Top 15% in total points through Week 13 vs. no safety net
** KDS so that you can create a plan around your preferred draft spots
** Third Round Reversal to balance out all draft spots
** Total Points League Playoffs in Weeks 14, 15 and 16 between H2H and Total Points leaders

Now I understand that some folks believe that KDS/3RR, no H2H playoffs in Weeks 12 and 13 and bigger safety nets are negatives in their eyes. To each his own. But I really believe that having a regular season beyond Thanksgiving and fairness to all of the highest scoring teams in the contest are positives related to the NFFC and in 2013 we'll do a better job of promoting that.
I really enjoy the 3 week H2H championship games they take some of the luck of the 1 week winner takes all. I do think though for the team to get the automatic championship without having to play the H2H 3 week championship they should have to win the best record outright (over the #2 scoring team) and also be #1 in league scoring. What I am saying is basically if the #1 and #2 teams in scoring are tied also in H2H record the #1 scoring team should not automatically win the championship. They should have to win the H2H outright to get that title otherwise play the 3 week championship game.

I actually think 15% seems on the high side for wildcard teams. There are already so many teams to beat in the championship round it takes a near miracle to win it already I could never see going above this 15% and was actually surprised this year it was so high I was thinking it was going to be 10%.

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Coltsfan wrote:I guess I'm in the minority on all 3 :o . But that's not unusual lol.

1. With free agency I'm honestly just glad that a decision has been made. I see where Chad was coming from and it's all good. There just isn't a perfect system here.

2. I really hoped that we weren't going to double dip the points on punt and kickoff returns. I know it's a small change but I guess it's just personal preference. The ironic part is that if you're going to count fumbles against the player then most return players will be more likely to go negative on points than to post positive points because of return td's. I'm really not sure what this accomplishes.

3. I guess the -2 per interception is the one I like the least here. I'm just guessing here but a lot of interceptions are not the QB's fault. Now they are going negative for something that they didn't do. (Receiver runs wrong route, receiver falls down, hail mary.) I assume that we will see the better QB's go even earlier now.....

Wayne
I agree with Wayne on #3 big time -1 was plenty with how many passes get batted around and are not the QB's fault.

I also think you have to reward the player for return TD's as I stated above but we should get rid of -1 for all fumbles for all times. I like how other contests do not count against fumbles that would solve the -1 for return players.

Do people here really like -1 for fumbles ? Why would you ever like this ? Sometimes fumbles are charged to the wrong player on a botched hand off. Is the QB or the RBs' fault ? I say just get rid of all fumble negative points (ya I am sure that will happen)

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:48 am

Guys ----
QB's NEED to get penalized harshly for poor performance. If it was up to me INT's would be at least -3. Dont' tell me about all the times that INT's aren't a QB's fault. What about all the times they throw a simple screen pass to a RB and it gets taken for a 60 yard TD. Like magic, the QB has just gotten 9 points despite doing very little. You can't have it both ways -- negative performance impacts the teams in real life and it damn well ought to impact the fantasy matchup. I remember a game this year where Phillip Rivers threw 4 INT's, his team lost big and yet his owners still walked to the bank with 18 points. That needs to stop.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 am

KenGill wrote:Guys ----
QB's NEED to get penalized harshly for poor performance. If it was up to me INT's would be at least -3. Dont' tell me about all the times that INT's aren't a QB's fault. What about all the times they throw a simple screen pass to a RB and it gets taken for a 60 yard TD. Like magic, the QB has just gotten 9 points despite doing very little. You can't have it both ways -- negative performance impacts the teams in real life and it damn well ought to impact the fantasy matchup. I remember a game this year where Phillip Rivers threw 4 INT's, his team lost big and yet his owners still walked to the bank with 18 points. That needs to stop.

Kengill,

I have a question for you. Do you believe that top end QB's will be more or less valuable with -2 for interceptions? Will they go higher or lower in the drafts?

Wayne

TR

Post by TR » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 am

Well said....I totally agree

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:08 am

TR,

Same question for you. Do you believe that top end QB's would go higher in drafts or later in drafts if interceptions are raised to -2 points? They will be scoring less points so how will that affect their drafts positions?

Wayne

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:23 am

Coltsfan wrote:

Kengill,

I have a question for you. Do you believe that top end QB's will be more or less valuable with -2 for interceptions? Will they go higher or lower in the drafts?

Wayne
The value of the top 5 QBs will definitely be INCREASED (as I'm sure you know, my fellow-spreadsheet geek :geek: ;)).

IMO, Brees' 5-int game this year was an anomaly. Given that, he and the next best 4 QBs (through the regular fantasy season) would see their average PPG reduced by less than 1 point. However, 5 of the next 7 ranked QBs would see their average PPG reduced by 1 or more PPG, increasing the already-inflated QB points gap between top and mid-low range QBs. Draft accordingly.

http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... Bs#p181747

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:36 am

There is no right or wrong. In the NFFC you see multiple QB's go in the first round - sometimes first overall. You never see that happening in other contests. You also see QB's scoring having a huge standard deviation in the nffc and that will become even greater with the new rules. The end result is that you might be able to argue that the top 3-4 QB's are worthy of top 7 drafts spots. And part of this will be that there is less risk of the huge "clunker" games that the mid tier QB's are going to put up much more often.

I believe that some folks want the -2 points per intereception to reign in QB scoring but in reality it will increase the value of QB's. More randomness, more luck. It might not be a bad thing for the nffc but I"m not a fan.

Wayne