Titans-Patriots

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:12 am

I seem to have gotten under your skin Nag. Sorry.

You are cracking me up with your examples of Gibbs, however. The first example shows 10 points scored in the second half and their backup QB in the game to close it out.

The second example shows they were only up 25 points when the TD happened. Again, not a blowout.

Keep trying! I'm pulling for ya!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Quahogs

Titans-Patriots

Post by Quahogs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:16 am

To break a tie within the division:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

bingo! unleash der hunds

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:17 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:

You are cracking me up with your examples of Gibbs, however. The first example shows 10 points scored in the second half and their backup QB in the game to close it out.

The second example shows they were only up 25 points when the TD happened. Again, not a blowout.

Keep trying! I'm pulling for ya! LOL, yeah, you got under my skin, LOL. Thanks for brining up the example with Gibbs. This has actually been fun! :D

Gibbs the sportsman, with his starting QB throwing TDs up 35-0. LOL :D

Maybe Gibbs apologized after that game too?? Do me a favor and google it, would you? :D

[ October 22, 2009, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Nag' ]
For Players. By Players.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:20 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:

Keep trying! I'm pulling for ya! LOL, yeah, you got under my skin, LOL. Thanks for brining up the example with Gibbs. This has actually been fun! :D

Gibbs the sportsman, with his starting QB throwing TDs up 35-0. LOL :D

Maybe Gibbs apologized after that game too?? Do me a favor and google it, would you? :D
[/QUOTE]In the 3rd quarter.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
Nag,

That is where we disagree. I believe there IS an unwritten rule about running up the score and the fact ZERO OTHER TEAMS DO IT seems to support my viewpoint. So then I ask again, please quote somebody in the NFL - ANYBODY - who speaks about this "unwritten" rule.

TIA.
[/QUOTE]Countless talking heads on tv were talking about it repeatedly in 2007 when the Patriots were running up scores with their starters in for stats.

I would be willing to bet if they do it again this week against a dead Buccaneer team you will start hearing it get discussed again.

Again, no other teams in the NFL have done this (that I have seen) in the last 20 years. When I say "this" I am referring to aggressively attacking the other team, through the air, with the starters, in a game that has become a blowout. I should not have to make this clarification (that should be obvious) but some seem to be going back in NFL history to blindly show where we had blowouts... which has zero to do with the point.

bobsgym13

Titans-Patriots

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:35 am

I hate the Bills. But ...
Backup QB in the game (Reich in for the injured Kelly) - down 35-3 in the 3rd quarter. The Houston Oiler's run-n-shoot looks invincible. The stadium is emptying.

Then ...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... ede-Oilers
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:41 am

Bob,

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up the ONE isolated example of something like that happening.

Your example would make sense if the Oilers had continued the entire second half to try NOT SCORE... but those of us who watched the game know that isn't how it happened.

Even you know that was a bad example.

Back to the point...

One NFL team has shown the desire to pad stats and run up scores in the NFL in the last 20 years in the spirit of poor sportsmanship.

One.

[ October 22, 2009, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Renman ]

Nag'

Titans-Patriots

Post by Nag' » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:43 am

Originally posted by Renman:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
Nag,

That is where we disagree. I believe there IS an unwritten rule about running up the score and the fact ZERO OTHER TEAMS DO IT seems to support my viewpoint. So then I ask again, please quote somebody in the NFL - ANYBODY - who speaks about this "unwritten" rule.

TIA.
[/QUOTE]Countless talking heads on tv were talking about it repeatedly in 2007 when the Patriots were running up scores with their starters in for stats.

I would be willing to bet if they do it again this week against a dead Buccaneer team you will start hearing it get discussed again.

Again, no other teams in the NFL have done this (that I have seen) in the last 20 years. When I say "this" I am referring to aggressively attacking the other team, through the air, with the starters, in a game that has become a blowout. I should not have to make this clarification (that should be obvious) but some seem to be going back in NFL history to blindly show where we had blowouts... which has zero to do with the point.
[/QUOTE]Talking heads do just that -- talk. Just like you and I. We're talking heads too and our opinion counts for no less.

But I will say again, if you insist there is an "unwritten" rule in the NFL about "running up" the score, then prove it. I say there is not and the coaches do not subscribe to it when calling the games nor do the players subcribe to it while playing it. You say there is. So, the burden of proof is on YOU.

And if it indeed exists, it should not be so hard to find quotes to support this. There are over 1500 players, 100s of coaches and assistants, dozens of team execituves. Do you want to tell me that NONE of them had expressed their outrage about the Patriots breaking the "unwritten" rule 5 days ago vs the Titans? Nobody, not a single soul on the Titans even??

Surely somebody on the Titans would've said something like "Man, them Patriots are runnin' up points and that ain't cool". No, they didn't say it? That's hard to believe. Somebody had to have mentioned something to support your opinion that the NFL has an unwritten rule about scoring too much.

Just a single quote by one person in the NFL is all I am looking for and that would at least give your point so validity. Should not be that hard.

[ October 22, 2009, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Nag' ]
For Players. By Players.

ToddZ

Titans-Patriots

Post by ToddZ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:51 am

It was 10-0 at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. A second quarter where everything went right for one team and everything wrong for the other had it at 38-0, Pats ball, right around the 2-minute warning.

What should the Patriots have done at this point?

Put in the backup QB? I think telling another professional NFL team they have no chance of winning before the first half even ends is FAR MORE unsportsmanlike than playing hard.

So should they have just run the ball, already having lost their top-2 RB (Taylor and Morris) and hope to grind out a couple of first downs, taking the chance of punting in a snowstorm, where something can go wrong with the snap - or perhaps a return TD giving the Titans something positive as they head into the locker room? Is a 38-7 deficit at halftime completely insurmountable?

Or do they play their game -- which on this day was Brady to Moss and Brady to Welker.

So now it is the beginning of the 3rd quarter and it is 45-0. Starting the second half with the backup QB is explainable - protecting Brady's health, so the unsportsmanlike spin is not as strong an argument as it was ending the first half. On the other hand, perhaps Tennessee is going to give Vince Young a shot and they already have a RB in Chris Johnson who is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. So in an effort to tell the Titans "don't even think about it", they keep Brady in and he of course leads them on another TD drive, heads to the sidelines, takes off his helmet and puts on a baseball cap, signifying his work day is done.

In a vacuum, without 2007 in the rear view mirror, is this scenario that egregious? Is it that low-class?

As for any other teams doing similarly, how many teams have arguably one of the best QB and one of the best WR ever to play the game on the field, at the same time, in an era where passing is more prominent than running? No other teams have done this is as much because they are not capable as anything. I think suggesting 31 other teams do not do this because they are class organizations is myopic if not naive. They don't do it because they CAN'T do it. The prefect storm of having an unreal QB-WR duo along with a defense holding another team's offense to no points -- how often does that scenario even exist?

If the Patriots are such a classless organization, why do seasoned veterans, who would obviously be aware of this label if it existed within the NFL itself, continue to sign on with the team? Why don't players that leave the team, some against their will, come out and chastise the organization. If the organization is so classless, why is the front office and coaching staff annually raided by other teams? Why is the owner, Bob Kraft allowed on so many important NFL committees if he is in charge of a classless organization.

Could it be because within the circles that really count, they are not considered classless?

Hmm.
"No one cares about your team but you."

bobsgym13

Titans-Patriots

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:04 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Bob,

Even you know that was a bad example.

Back to the point...
'Even you know' - wow - that's great sportsmanship!!!

The funny thing is that you could have just said that it bolstered your argument.

The clip I linked could be argued both ways:

1) Keep playing - you never know
2) Play it out conservatively - throwing it around risks the pick-6

Look at my posts. I have been the wimp that can't make up his mind.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)