Calvin Johson is the #1 WR in Fantasy

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:23 am

Calvin Johnson is the number one wide receiver in fantasy football, period.

1. He's a physical freak of nature. 6'5" 235lbs. He can run as fast as any other receiver and can jump higher. His size, speed, height and reach creates mismatches with every player attempting to guard him. Double team him and he simply leaps higher than the defense.

2. He's playing on a team with a horrible defense. You have to love his garbage time production potential.....losing games, have to pass, unless your team is led by Jamarcus Russell.

3. His quarterback position will be more stable this year. Last season, Johnson caught only 52% of his targets; one of the worst percentages among top 20 WR's. This can be attributed to the horrendous quarterback play from the Lions. Daunte Culpepper had a full offseason and preseason to learn the offense and get in sync with the rest of the team. Matthew Stafford will be more than adequate when he plays. He has a rocket arm that will allow him to make throws many veterans could only hope to make. Whichever player is under center is going to be better than the QB carousel from last season.

4. He's in his 3rd year, typically the year a wide receiver "breaks out" to have his best season. You can say Calvin already broke out, but I say he hasn't come close to reaching his potential.

5. This is what seals the deal for me: Scott Linehan.
Since entering the NFL in 2002, the Lions new offensive coordinator, Linehan, has shown the propensity to utilize his #1 wide receiver in the red zone.

During the 2002 and 2003 seasons in Minnesota, Randy Moss was #1 in red zone targets; in 2004, Nate Burleson was #7. In Miami, during the 2005 season Chris Chambers was #1 in red zone targets. In St. Louis, Torry Holt was #3 in 2006 and #14 in 2007.

Johnson tied Fitzgerald for the most touchdown receptions in the NFL, yet Fitzgerald received almost three times the red zone targets as Johnson.

Let's examine the goal line targets for wide receivers in Linehan's system. While in Minnesota, during the 2002 and 2003 seasons, the Vikings' Randy Moss was #1 in goal line targets. The 2004 season was a "down" year as Nate Burleson tied for 17th. In 2005 while in Miami, Chris Chambers finished the season as the most targeted receiver at the goal line. In St. Louis, during the 2006, 2007 and 2008 season, Torry Holt finished 9th, 5th and tied for 3rd in goal line targets.

Linehan loves to utilize his wide receivers near the goal line and outside of Moss, none of the aforementioned ones possess the skills of Johnson.

Last season, Johnson was the 55th most targeted receiver at the goal line last season, yet he tied Fitzgerald for the league lead in touchdown receptions.

Simply imagine what Calvin can accomplish if leads the league in red zone and goal line targets. Call me crazy, but Calvin has a chance at 20+ touchdown receptions this season.

Yes, as GK stated in another thread, I do love Calvin. I saw him play during his freshman season at Georgia Tech and fell in love with his ability. The Stafford/Johnson combo should be one of the best in the league for years to come.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 am

GLY , I take it your UNDECIDED about taking Cj with your first pick

Seriously , that was a very good post.

problem is , Detroit has no Offensive line , and word is out that all defenses will be bringing the HOUSE down on Stafford. If the Lions don't run out of Qbs by week 3, I like Cjs stats also :D
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

GOD Hates You

Post by GOD Hates You » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:13 am

Calvin Johnson is not the number one wide receiver in fantasy football, period.

--------------------
My future is undecided?

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 am

THANKS FOR SHARING!!! SHARING IS CARING BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THAT IS THE CASE IN FANTASY FOOTBALL. LOL. :D :D

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:31 am

You got some man crush patrick. lol
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:41 am

I love it when God Hates You totally disagrees with God Loves You and vice versa...I'm guess I'm just sick like that. LMAO.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:42 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
I love it when God Hates You totally disagrees with God Loves You and vice versa...I'm guess I'm just sick like that. LMAO. Outstanding observation Diesel! God Loves you writes a book and God Hates you responds with a one sentence curse.

I've gotta say that Stafford/Calvin looks real good in keeper leagues. But, to go with Calvin in the first or second round is making a very optimistic pick. It could happen...but so could a lot of things!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
Simply imagine what Calvin can accomplish if leads the league in red zone and goal line targets. Call me crazy, but Calvin has a chance at 20+ touchdown receptions this season.

Yes, as GK stated in another thread, I do love Calvin. I saw him play during his freshman season at Georgia Tech and fell in love with his ability. The Stafford/Johnson combo should be one of the best in the league for years to come. your last paragraph shows you are biased to begin with.

your first paragraph will NEVER happen. the over/under on td passes thrown by Lions QB's this year is 18. assuming an incredible 50% of the td's going to calvin would leave him at 9 for the season. stafford does have a chance at 20 picks though!

sorry, i'm selling this.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:39 am

The hype has reached stratospheric proportions!

22 TDs passing tops! Give him 11.

Realistically, he gets 8TDs/1100 yards/85 catches
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:45 am

the over / under on cj td's are 10.5 thats by bodog that you can place wagers.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN