QB points

BillyWaz

QB points

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:46 am

I have always been a supporter of the NFFC giving 6 points to the QB position (and drafted with that in mind), but after watching an undrafted (for fantasy) backup scores 51 points last night......I'm wondering if a change isn't in order?

I realize that with the "reset" button after week 13, it turns into a total "who gets hot" contest, but when 3 of the 4 NFFC Contests have the leader owning McCown....I'm just questioning the huge weight the QB carries in the NFFC.

I just want to be clear that 2 of the 4 people who are leading the Classic and Primetime (Michael Edelman and Joe Jefferson) are OUTSTANDING players, and deserve to be where they are (sorry, I don't know the other 2 people leading the Cutline and DC).

I just think it may be time to consider QB's going from 6 to 4 points next year. Would at least like to see it put on the offseason survey.

Coach JP

Re: QB points

Post by Coach JP » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:14 am

You're always going to have statistical outliers who carry people come this time, it's happened before with Billy Volek and Drew Bennett and it will happen again in the future.

To me, the issue is more that QB scoring is flat out inflated in this format and with the way the game has changed it needs to be adjusted. Four and five touchdown games are no longer uncommon -- they happen a lot, and you'll get 40-50 points off of it every single time the way this is setup.

There have been 22 QB's who have scored more than 40 in a game (and a lot more in the 36-40 range), and we have seen multiple 50+ point games out of QB's this year (Manning, Romo, Foles all put up 50-70).

I get you want to differentiate QB1 from QB12, but it seems to be a bit more counter productive these days.

I have Brees so I'm benefiting from this, and this is why I specifically drafted him. I don't care if every other QB 'averages' out to 22-24 points, because I knew Brees had the best odds to get me 40+ points when it mattered most.

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:28 am

6 point QB is good. It allows for several different draft mind sets. If you wanted to be more current with the trends in the NFL we should require only 1 RB and 2 Flex spots as well as enhance the defense scoring (maybe yards allowed).

Sack

Post by Sack » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:37 am

Really?

Kudos to the players that were smart enough to read the schedule and have the guts to leave a guy
like McCown on there active roster while the chips are down. With the Cutler news wavering from
week to week it was truly a gamble. Instead of calling for a change in the rules, which would be a
big mistake IMO, I applaud those guys that are living near the top of the Overall Standings because
of an undrafted QB that they were smart enough to snatch up in season. A story like McCown is what
will leave us talking for years to come if he helps you bring down a big prize.

The 6 point QB Touchdown credit makes the game we play much more fun to watch. It isn't broke,
don't look to fix it.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:16 am

Sack wrote:Really?

Kudos to the players that were smart enough to read the schedule and have the guts to leave a guy
like McCown on there active roster while the chips are down. With the Cutler news wavering from
week to week it was truly a gamble. Instead of calling for a change in the rules, which would be a
big mistake IMO, I applaud those guys that are living near the top of the Overall Standings because
of an undrafted QB that they were smart enough to snatch up in season. A story like McCown is what

The 6 point QB Touchdown credit makes the game we play much more fun to watch. It isn't broke,
don't look to fix it.
+1

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:18 am

RoadKing wrote:If you wanted to be more current with the trends in the NFL we should require only 1 RB and 2 Flex spots
this is interesting and worthy of discussion IMO.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:29 am

don't look to fix it.
Full disclosure? ;)
http://nffc.stats.com/football/reports/ ... 9468&wk=14
(You picked him up in week 11 and started him last night.)

With all due respect, for many owners, it really wasn't much of a "gamble" once Cutler was announced as out on Thurs., in a dream matchup with DAL and no snow expected. Even less of a gamble for those who are thin at QB due to injuries.

Some of us still started Brady over him though (and missed out on 19 points! :evil:). Of course, losing Gronk didn't help. But we just couldn't bring ourselves to start McCown over Brady. Couldn't bear the thought of having to get through the winter wondering what might have been if we hadn't sat our "stud" QB. Next week will be a tough call though, as Brady heads to MIA, but McCown (assuming Cutler's still out) goes to CLE (who Brady just torched for over 400 and 2 TDs). :? The weather could be the deciding factor in that decision.

Just for fun, let's take a look at the teams in the top 20 of the Primetime who own McCown to see who gambled on him vs. whose hands were forced into fortuity:
1. Team Jefferson - Options: Fitzpatrick, Manuel
4. Sandman and Son - Options: Brady, Palmer
5. Terms of Enrampagement - Options: Wilson (@SF), Cutler
8. Cocktails and Dreams V - Options: RGIII (vs. KC in snow), Cutler
11. Sack Vegas Primetime I - Options: McGloin (a legit starter consideration @NYJ), Rodgers
16. Coz's Sal Pals - Options: Kaepernick (vs. SEA), Tannehill (@PIT in snow)

Free agents are certainly a part of the game. And in a non-NFFC work league, we rode McCown to a playoff win (option was Kaepernick vs. SEA). But only because our drafted QB1, Kaepernick, sucks this year and it was an easy call to bench him for McCown.
Last edited by Sandman62 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TR

Post by TR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:43 am

Sandman62 wrote:

don't look to fix it.
Full disclosure? ;)
http://nffc.stats.com/football/reports/ ... 9468&wk=14
Ouch he played rams defense over cards d at home...and heath miller over jordan cameron...otherwise would be Primetime leader..well over 200 pts

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 pm

No need to review this issue. Some guys believe that QBs should get drafted early, and some do not believe it. Some guys like to draft their QBs late or seek out a QB like Foles or McCown. Its all part of the strategy.

The QB scoring is all relative anyway. Some guys go up, some go down every year. I see this as a non-issue.

Good for those guys who played McCown last night. If you had a choice, that takes guts.

particra

Post by particra » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:57 pm

This is fantasy football. It's a completely random setup made more random by nights like last night and assorted injuries.

It's always been this way and it's the No. 1 reason why fantasy football is about 1/50th as interesting/fair/fulfilling as fantasy baseball.