Week 6 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Week 6 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations about Week 6 as I wonder why I put myself through this thing we call fantasy football.

Before we begin I need to vent a bit about my own personal hell that I dealt with this week. Since this is my column I’m gonna make this about me for a minute or two. Or three. So here goes.

Here is how I spent the better part of my Sunday afternoon this week watching my first-place team in my top league.

I watched Todd Gurley get vultured for a sure-fire touchdown by Case Keenum on a 1-yard run that I couldn’t even really get upset about because honestly the play call was so well-designed it was seriously impressive and I was genuinely astonished a Jeff Fisher coaching staff thought of it much less actually called it during an actual game.

But still …

Ugh.

How could Gurley not get that?

Ugh.

With Mike Evans on a bye I started Chris Hogan over Cameron Meredith.

I know. I know.

I know.

Trust me. I KNOW!

I watched Russ Wilson go an entire game without a TD pass in an A matchup against a soft Atlanta secondary.

With Theo Riddick hurt, I started DeAndre Washington over James White. OK. OK. OK. I actually can explain this one. It’s still not gonna make it any better and I’m still a complete idiot but I really can explain it so just hear me out.

Last week Washington had 14 touches (more than White), including 5 receptions (same as White) so my thinking was he was locked into getting double-digit touches this week in a plus run game matchup (which he actually got. OK Just barely with 10 but he did technically get them) and if the Raiders ended up trailing against Kansas City (which they did) he should at least get some receptions again (which oddly he didn’t get at all) so unlike White he would be locked into getting more carries (which happened) and like White he would have a role in the passing game (oops). Of course, I didn’t count on White getting two touchdowns.

I know, I know I’m still a freaking idiot no matter how you slice it but I did put some actual thought into it.

God I hate myself.

On the bright side if Quincy Enunwa puts up 85 points tonight everything will end up just fine this week for me and I’ll be able to forget about all the crap that happened yesterday. That seems doable so really this week probably won’t up being so bad after all.

Whew.

Now onto everything else that really doesn’t matter to me but I suppose it’s the reason why you’re bothering to read this column every week so I might as well write something now that isn’t about me even though I don’t really care about it because I’m seriously upset about all the crap I had to sit through yesterday.

Can you tell I’m still a little perturbed?

On Sunday morning, Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel wrote a great column analyzing what’s wrong with Aaron Rodgers. It went into great detail about the many issues plaguing Rodgers (and it’s a laundry list) and placed many of them directly at his feet. It even called into question his Hall of Fame credentials (well done, Bob) . A few hours later Rodgers went out and promptly soiled the bed all over Lambeau Field against the Cowboys which pretty much made Bob look like a genius.

I’ve been saying it for a few weeks; the Packers have serious problems despite their place in the NFC North standings. This is not a good football team no matter what the record says and a lot of the blame goes directly to No. 12. He perceives pressure that isn’t there, misses open receivers for big plays and simply isn’t playing at the level he once did. I’m not sure he is going to be fixed at this point either because these issues have been going on for well over a year and appear to be too ingrained in his approach to be corrected at this point in time. There will be good games ahead to be sure but more unevenness as well. From a fantasy perspective he is no longer a Must Start by any means. He’s become the dreaded matchup play. And even then I’m not entirely sure I trust him even when the matchup is strongly in his favor, as it will be in Week 7 against the Bears.

Not all of the blame for Green Bay’s woes is Rodgers’ fault of course. It was absolutely astonishing that General Manager Ted Thompson did not sign a running back last week with starter Eddie Lacy and backup James Starks both injured. Starks, it turns out, has a serious knee injury and Lacy played his heart out with one good leg. Thompson has been an overrated GM for a long time now in my opinion but it’s ridiculous he went into a huge game with his starting running back on one good leg and wide receivers as his backup. That’s patently absurd. It’s astonishing to me that no one in the Packers’ media called him out for that.

On a related note, as much as I love Brett Favre, it’s time for the Packers to stop bringing him back to Lambeau during games to honor him. Rodgers clearly doesn’t play well and the team tends to stink up the joint when he’s around. Not saying it’s Brett’s fault (it obviously isn’t) but they’re 0-2 so let’s just call it a day on these ceremonies now, OK?

It’s been obvious since the preseason but Dak Prescott is the real deal. I’m a Tony Romo fan but this isn’t a decision anymore. This is Prescott’s team until he fails. A lot of people are gonna try to make this into a major story because they need it to fuel their news cycles but it really isn’t. Prescott’s just played too well to lose this job. It’s just that simple. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. The Cowboys know it too and I’m willing to bet if Tony Romo answered honestly he knows it as well.

Remember when the Carolina Panthers played in the Super Bowl? That was fun.

Do not ever, I mean EVER, bench Brandin Cooks when he plays at home.

EVER!

They may have lost the game but Matt Ryan and the Falcons dropped a big-time statement on the league at Seattle on Sunday. They are legit. That defense may not be very good but their offense is gonna put up points on anybody. Ryan is playing at an MVP level right now.

Colin Kaepernick returned to the starting lineup in the NFL on Sunday and completed 45 percent of his passes. Sounds about right.

I have absolutely no idea what happened in the Steelers-Dolphins game. I know Ben Roethlisberger got hurt but even before that nothing was making sense so I’m not even going to attempt to analyze it.

Stop me if you’ve heard this before … Ben Roethlisberger’s hurt. Big-time player. Not the most durable quarterback in the world.

I know nobody wants to talk about this because kickers don’t matter to many people but the Patriots have a problem with Stephen Gostkowski. I’m just gonna keep mentioning it here because it’s gonna pop up in a big game at some point and that’s when somebody’s gonna act all shocked about it and I’m gonna be “Hey I’ve been saying this since Week Freakin 2.”

Only I might be a little more smug than that cuz I kinda get that way sometimes.

Sorry I just do. Not gonna lie.

Non-football thought of the week.

ONE WEEK TILL THE WALKING DEAD RETURNS

ONE WEEK TILL THE WALKING DEAD RETURNS

Sorry folks I need a pick me up. I really do. Did I mention all the crap that I had to sit through yesterday? Was not a good one so I need anything I can find for some comfort. Now back to football.

I’m a big Andy Reid fan. I got to know him well when I was a beat writer covering the Packers in the ’90s. I have a lot of issues with him as a head coach but the man absolutely owns it coming out of a bye. No denying that.

Still think he should make Jamaal Charles the Chiefs’ feature back, though.

There’s the Odell Beckham Jr. fantasy owners have been waiting for.

Coby Fleener and Dontari Poe had rushing touchdowns this week. Just like everyone expected.

Welcome to the 2016 NFL season Golden Tate. Nice to see you could finally join us.

Don’t look now but Kenny Britt has become an honest to goodness WR2. He’s only had one single-digit game in PPR the entire season. One.

ONE.

With Case Freakin Keenum at quarterback.

That may be the most unbelievable thing I’ve seen this entire fantasy season so far.

Impressive job holding the lead last night by the Colts. That's how you do it Chuck Pagano.

I know he rallied for the win last night but Brock Osweiler still stinks.

And finally if you started Russell Wilson, DeAndre Washington and Chris Hogan this week it’s time for you to stop sobbing in a corner, hope Quincy Enunwa has the game of his life tonight and makes all of your Week 6 dreams come true.

Yeah that’s how it all needs to happen.

Oh yeah.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Re: Week 6 Thoughts & Observations

Post by kjduke » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:57 am

The whole first half of this rant just seems like a blatant attempt to sell more DC-style drafts next season. :mrgreen:

Dak reminds me a lot of Steve McNair. He plays, reacts, talks like he's been around the league for a long time, more veteran than most veterans. I like Romo a lot too, and saw that Romo was pushing DAL to draft Dak as he viewed him as a better success profile than some of the higher rated QBs. They both deserve to start and given the league injury rate there's a good chance they will. I think they'll be playing in the Super Bowl this year with either of them playing QB.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:01 pm

kjduke wrote:The whole first half of this rant just seems like a blatant attempt to sell more DC-style drafts next season. :mrgreen:
Ha. Nah. I just needed to purge before I begin my focus for Week 7. :D
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm

kjduke wrote:Dak reminds me a lot of Steve McNair. He plays, reacts, talks like he's been around the league for a long time, more veteran than most veterans. I like Romo a lot too, and saw that Romo was pushing DAL to draft Dak as he viewed him as a better success profile than some of the higher rated QBs. They both deserve to start and given the league injury rate there's a good chance they will. I think they'll be playing in the Super Bowl this year with either of them playing QB.
Dak looks a lot like Russell Wilson of 2012. Nobody expected Wilson to start as a rookie and he went on to throw for 3,118 yards and 26 TDs with 4 rushing TDs. Wilson was more mature than anyone expected and no situation was too big for him. Prescott kind of looks the same way right now. Lambeau Field didn't impact him at all, even with 78,000+ fans screaming at him the whole time. He just looks like he can handle this and I don't see any reason for the Cowboys to make a change coming out of the bye. This is Dak's team right now and his teammates are buying in.

That being said, like you said, it's the NFL and injuries happen. Having two good QBs is a luxury, not a problem. If they have two on the roster entering the playoffs they are in great shape, not in trouble.

This team is for real if Zeke doesn't hit the rookie wall. Damn good lines on both sides of the ball.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:41 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
kjduke wrote:Dak reminds me a lot of Steve McNair. He plays, reacts, talks like he's been around the league for a long time, more veteran than most veterans. I like Romo a lot too, and saw that Romo was pushing DAL to draft Dak as he viewed him as a better success profile than some of the higher rated QBs. They both deserve to start and given the league injury rate there's a good chance they will. I think they'll be playing in the Super Bowl this year with either of them playing QB.
Dak looks a lot like Russell Wilson of 2012.
Great comp. Both poised beyond their years. I think Russ has a stronger arm and can make more throws than Dak but it's the poise and composure they both play with that stands out the most. You couldn't rattle Russ in the pocket in college and that carried over to his play as a rookie and it's a big reason why he succeeded right out of the gate. Dak's shown the same type of composure and it's a big reason why he's done so well. Nothing seems to faze him. How every team missed on him in a year which was supposed to be one of the weakest for college QBs in years remains a huge mystery. A lotta GMs and scouts should lose their jobs over this.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TR

Post by TR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Cowboys should trade Romo to a team like the Jets. They will have Dak on very cheap rookie deal next few years and imagine how they can upgrade other parts of their team by unloading Romo's cap hit...

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Tom: On Rodgers - Favre relationship: I read an excerpt from "Gunslinger" (Jeff Pearlman's book on Favre coming out this month) on bleacherreport.com. It was fascinating read. I pre-ordered the book already.

I think the chicken have come home to roost in Green Bay. Rodgers is no longer there to CYA Teddy, McCarthy and the rest of the freeloaders. Now that the tide's out we are seeing who's been swimming naked. I surely hope this brings some real change in management in Green Bay. Personally, I want TT, MM and Capers out and a new regime starting with the Wolf as soon as this year. I surely hope that Rodgers is secretly working to that end and did not become Blaine Gabbert all of a sudden.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Rodgers 39 completions, 1 to Jordy. WOW. Waiting for rant, Tom.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:43 am

kjduke wrote:Rodgers 39 completions, 1 to Jordy. WOW. Waiting for rant, Tom.
I have him in one league. Not sure what to make of it. You can say Jordy's not all the way back I suppose but I don't think that totally explains it. They just can't seem to involve Jordy in the offense lately and I'm not sure why. They had better figure that out because the gimicky playing WRs as RBs approach may work against a sorry-ass team like the Bears but I don't see it working against a real NFL team. To beat real teams they're gonna need to get Jordy going again.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich