What An Unbelievable NFL Weekend!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:44 am

This weekend proved why the NFL -- not Major League Baseball -- is America's Greatest Sport. Those four games this weekend had all the drama, suspense, thrill and beauty that you can't find anywhere else. It was pure heaven for any football die-hard like myself.

And if you happened to be at any of those guys, it was even better (if your team won, that is). If anyone was at any of the games, feel free to post here and let us know what it was like. Those games were so intense that I'd love to hear stories from other cities.

As most of you know, I was at the Packers' game on Saturday night and I must admit that it was the most unique sporting event I've ever been at. It also was the most fun I've ever had at Lambeau Field and that's saying something when you were there for the 1996 NFC Championship Game. It was so unique that even though the Packers set many team playoff records, here's one you didn't read about on Sunday morning:

THE PACKERS RAN OUT OF BEER AT HALFTIME!!! For the first time in Lambeau Field history, THEY RAN OUT OF BEER!!!

Fans were in the parking lots earlier than I can ever remember and they were inside the stadium an hour before kickoff. Then that first quarter took an hour and I suppose beer sales were through the roof at that point. Well, just after halftime the stadium was SOLD OUT!!! Nobody could believe it. Sheesh. :D

But outside of that and two early turnovers, the game was the most unbelievable one I've seen at Lambeau. The crowd was so into it that nobody ever sat down. We stood almost the entire game (definitely the entire second half). It was ELECTRIC in that stadium and the falling snow made it even better. It was like we were all living inside a snow globe and someone shook us from time to time!! :D

I've also never seen bigger snowflakes in my life. They were like silver dollars in the third quarter. I sit in the south end zone and you could barely see the north end zone at that point. I have no idea how Grant ran so well or how Favre was so efficient. They were extremely sound offensively after those first two miscues.

The fumbles took the life out of 72,000+ fans in a heartbeat. It looked like the Atlanta 2002 playoff loss all over again. But the fans never gave up -- heck, there were still 56 minutes left in the game -- and that next drive was so good it was back to a 7 point game. Then to get the replay respot to keep the second drive going was even more perfect because it made Holmgren so mad he couldn't let go of that play. To think it was 14-14 before the end of the fourth quarter was unreal. I told my brother, we got our $108 worth already!! :D

The Packers have surprised me all year long as I NEVER saw this coming. But they are a good team right now. McCarthy has them playing smart football, efficient football, and his play calling has been brilliant. He had so many different sets that before halftime you had no idea what he was going to do next. He went with four wideouts, two fullbacks, two tight ends, no tight ends. Seriously, he outcoached Holmgren big time.

And while I loved Holmgren when he was here, the way he left Green Bay by taking all of his assistants, scouts, even his secretary (she finally turned him down) has left a bitter taste up here towards him. And he QUIT in the fourth quarter. I wouldn't doubt if he retires after this one. He punted on fourth-and-one down three scores and he never used any of his timeouts at the end. At least play until the bitter end, Mikey!!

I hate to say that I partied from noon to midnight around Lambeau, but at least I stayed in Green Bay and avoided the accidents. There were 17 cars in the ditch in a 15-mile stretch that I took and that was enough to scare anyone silly.

And now I love the Giants almost as much as the Packers. Thanks G-Men for allowing us to do this all over again!! :D It's supposed to be a high of 6 on Sunday and it won't be that warm at 5:30 at night!!! :D I seriously think my arse will freeze to my aluminum bleacher this time!! :D But that's fine as I'll just sit there until I thaw out!! I couldn't be happier than being at Lambeau.

It's a very, very, very special place to watch football. I've been fortunate to see a lot of great games there as my parents have had our tickets since 1960. We get extra ones for each game so that as many family members can go as possible. On Saturday, we had eight family members in the game. To sit there with your brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, cousins, etc., is one I'll NEVER forget. As my 58 year-old sister said, she's never had a more fun day in her life. I would agree.

GO PACK!!! And thanks for the thrills so far.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:25 am

Greg,

All I have to say is GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!

Tiki Barber who??????????

The Giants are ROAD WARRIORS!!!!!!

GO ELI!!!!!!!!!!!
I.W
Johnny Frisella

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:35 am

WOW...great story, Greg!

I walked to my moms and watched it with the family...was too excited to stay home alone for these games (sacrificing 11 of inches of screen and High DEF for the company!)

Margaritas all game long, and the oldest guy who can't stay awake for his 49er games actually went damn near toe-to-toe with me margarita for margarita, high five for high five and never even had a hint of dozing off for a nap like he usually does. (Picture a heavy 80 year old on oxygen partying like a 40 year old! My Mom was impressed how the game gave him energy and youth!

Buzzed...I must have yelled out "...and I KNOW a guy who's THERE right now" 20 times!

Those snowflakes were beautiful, we all love Favre (even though he was the "enemy" of the Niners back when)...and they came back, covered, and went over...Dreamy! :D :D :D

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:39 am

THE GAMES WERE GREAT THIS WEEKEND. THE UNDERDOGS WINNING ON SUNDAY JUST ADDS MORE TO THE UNPREDICTABILITY OF THE SEASON. FROM A FANTASY AND REALITY FOOTBALL PROSPECTIVE. I DO BELIEVE THOUGH THE GAMES THIS WEEKEND ARE FORGONE CONCLUSIONS.

da bears

Post by da bears » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:41 am

Awesome story Greg!

There is no player in the NFL that I respect more than Favre and to see him win another Super Bowl this year would be great.

Have a great time at the game this sunday! GO PACKERS!!!!!
Bauler Shot Caller

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:42 am

That had to be great Greg!

Back in 95 when the Steelers went to the Super Bowl and lost to the Cowboys, I was at the game where they beat Buffalo in the playoffs. It was cold as ever (below 10 - which I realize that isn't cold for Green Bay! ) ,and my friends and I were pretty toasted. What I remember the most is that it snowed for about 10 minutes and the place was going NUTS!!! People whipping their shirts off and Terrible Towels everywhere!!!!

While that was awesome, I kept thinking how great it would have been to be at that game on Saturday! My wife even watched it for about 10 minutes(which NEVER happens), so that goes to show how cool it was just to watch on TV.

What I couldn't believe is when Favre said that was the worst snow he had ever played in. Not that it wasn't coming down REALLY hard, but being Green Bay, you would figure weather like that would have happened many times before in Favre's tenure.

Hope it snows like that again for you on Sunday night Greg, as those memories will last forever!

Since they have the best shot at beating New England.... GO PACK!!!! :D

[ January 14, 2008, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:02 am

As a Colts season ticket holder, I was at the game. It sucked. The end.

I felt good for most of the Charger players and coaches.

2 guys I lost respect for:

Rivers and LT.

LT whining to the officials as he sat out is a joke.

Rivers taunting the fans is a joke. No, he's not the first, but he acts like a spoiled brat to me.

With that said, the Dome didn't have the atmosphere it did during the playoffs last year. There was way too much complacency from the fans. A feeling that this game was a lock.

I could tell from the fist time on defense it was going to be different.

Congrats to Gates for manning up for his teammates. Congrats to Volek for playing great in relief. Congrats to Norv for overcoming terrible officiating and injuries.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:12 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
What I couldn't believe is when Favre said that was the worst snow he had ever played in. Not that it wasn't coming down REALLY hard, but being Green Bay, you would figure weather like that would have happened many times before in Favre's tenure.

Hope it snows like that again for you on Sunday night Greg, as those memories will last forever!
Favre was right. We're not known for snow here; it's not like Buffalo. We get like 45 inches of snow per year and there haven't been many snow games at Lambeau. We're known for COLD, not snow. And on Sunday night, it is going to be COLD. It's already changing now and it's cold right now. Sunday night on those aluminum bleachers are going to be brutal. :D Brutally fun!!!

Favre is unreal. He NEVER is the last guy off the field, but on Saturday night he must have done interviews at mid-field and he talked with other Seahawks' players, but he was definitely the last one to go to the tunnel. My seats are near the Packers' tunnel and NOBODY left the stadium at that point. When he started walking over our way, the whole stadium chanted MVP, MVP, MVP and there were 30+ camera guys following his every step. He saw his wife and two kids on the field -- which they never do -- and he walked over to them like a high school star meeting his sweetheart. They embraced and people did think it might be symbolic as his last time at Lambeau.

Honestly, at that moment it looked like a rock star was in the house. It was like Paul McCartney had just showed up and it was 1967!! :D But Favre has won over this state this year even more than ever before, and he was revered before!! I mean, he is beyond god-like now. Zeus wouldn't stand a chance against him!! :D But give him his due, he's watching so much film now that he is so prepared for every game this year like never before. He knows what the defense is going to do once he steps to the line of scrimmage and he's changing plays and making reads like never before. The first TD pass to Jennings is a perfect example as he saw one-on-one and threw to him even though there was a run play called and he didn't check off. He just looked at Jennings, made eye contact and threw it inside for a TD. Too easy.

It's hard not to like this guy now. I mean you can if you want and some are sick of the adulation for him, but geez he makes it fun to watch football again.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:13 am

WELL PUT RUSS FROM A COLTS FAN THAT YOU ARE. I WAS WATCH THE GAME ON T.V. AND FUNNY THING IS THAT WHEN I BELIEVE WHEN RIVERS CAME OUT OF THE TUNNEL I THINK HE TOLD L.T. HE COULD NOT RETURN AND L.T. LOOKED PISSED. I WAS THINKING HE IS IN THE SAME BOAT YOU ARE IN SO WHY GET MAD? MAYBE I INTERPRETED THAT WRONG. NOT SURE.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:17 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
Rivers taunting the fans is a joke. No, he's not the first, but he acts like a spoiled brat to me. Agreed Russ. Rivers has to realize that this isn't NC State anymore. Grow up and play through the fans' taunting. He acts like a spoiled brat when he really hasn't accomplished anything yet. I mean, is he looking like a leader? Not at all.

As Sean Salisbury said yesterday, what has happened to this kid in the last year? He met him early on and I know I met him as a rookie and you didn't see this attitude from him. In fact, I thought he was kind of shy and wasn't sure he'd handle the pressure of being traded for Eli Manning. Now he's become this Big Man On Campus and he acts like a bully in a fraternity, not an NFL quarterback. Anyway, he's lost some respect from me too.

Start Billy Volek and see if he can repeat 2004. ;)