Week 10 Thoughts

Tom Kessenich

Week 10 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Here are some thoughts and observations with every game but one now in the books for Week 10:

I'll say it again - the owners who got Chris Johnson late in the first round or early in the second got the best value pick in the draft this year. That's insane value for a player who should not have fallen outside the Top 5.

Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson? Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson? Hmm ...

Johnson was dynamic as usual but it was a rough week for some other stud RBs. Michael Turner, Cedric Benson and Ronnie Brown all got hurt. So did Julius Jones. Now comes the time of year when depth and shrewd Waiver Wire moves can make the difference between success and failure.

Maurice Jones-Drew owners. I feel your pain. Honest I do.

I think Tom Brady and Randy Moss are on the same page again.

Repeat after me - Never, ever ever sit Mike Sims-Walker. Just don't do it.

Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy may have saved their jobs with Green Bay's impressive win over Dallas on Sunday. And the win was quite impressive. The Cowboys were red hot and the Packers' defense had been reeling. But Green Bay pitched a shutout when the game mattered. Props to Dom Capers and his crew.

Speaking of the Cowboys, the Miles Austin run was fun while it lasted.

Speaking of the Cowboys again, they need to just use Marion Barber and Tashard Choice at RB. Felix Jones just doesn't have it this season and they're wasting snaps using him.

Beanie Wells looked real good against Seattle but I'm not convinced he's going to break out. Remember, he had a big game a few weeks ago against the Giants but then fizzled the next two games from a fantasy perspective. I still think his role is too inconsistent to trust. But I will say this, long term he has the talent to be a special running back.

I've long been a fan of Brian Westbrook but I think the Eagles need to shut him down for the rest of the season. Two concussions in three weeks is very unsettling. It would be foolish to risk his long-term health by bringing him back this season.

Speaking of the Eagles, I like Andy Reid but it's the height of lunacy to have a game plan that doesn't feature the run when you're facing the 26th-ranked run defense in the league. You deserve to lose when you coach that poorly.

Welcome back, Megatron.

Reggie Bush had a USC flashback against the Rams. And not to pat myself on the back too strongly, but I recently wrote that nobody in the league is doing more with less than Bush this season. What happened on Sunday? Eight touches, two touchdowns and 98 total yards. Nuff said.

The Denver story was fun while it lasted.

Don't look now but the Chargers are aiming for another second-half run.

Anybody else still not believing the Cincinnati Bengals are for real?

The Sophomore Slump is hitting Matt Ryan. Hard.

Apparently, LaDainain Tomlinson can score against someone other than the Raiders.

Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston and Nate Burleson combined for three receptions. Meanwhile, Jason Avent caught eight passes for 156 yards. Yup, I'm pretty sure we all saw that one coming.

I have to say, the Titans are playing better with Vince Young than I thought they would. Maybe there's some hope for him after all.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Week 10 Thoughts

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Good stuff Tom. We chose wrong between Hightower and Wells today in Primetime. We've started them both together a few times, but we usually play just Hightower. At least we had Reggie Bush today too. But I'm thinking seriously, w/ ARI's remaining schedule, to just start both RBs every week (and flex Bush). What do you think?

pizzatyme

Week 10 Thoughts

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Sidney Rice! The real deal.

Joseph Addai!! He does what the team needs him to.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Tom Kessenich

Week 10 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:32 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Good stuff Tom. We chose wrong between Hightower and Wells today in Primetime. We've started them both together a few times, but we usually play just Hightower. At least we had Reggie Bush today too. But I'm thinking seriously, w/ ARI's remaining schedule, to just start both RBs every week (and flex Bush). What do you think? I still think Wells is a risky RB3 and Hightower is the more consistent option. I like Beanie a lot but Hightower isn't going away and I think we could see more games like we saw from Wells in Week 8 and 9 when he was OK but nothing great for fantasy. Hightower has been more consistent and I think he remains that way.

On another note, what in blue blazes was Belichick thinking last night? I can't believe he made a decision that amazingly stupid with the game on the line. He gift-wrapped that win for the Colts.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KOTRAX

Week 10 Thoughts

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:19 am

NICE WRITE-UP TOM. OUTSIDE OF THE TD SIMS WALKER HAD ON THE MISSED TACKLE HE WAS BOTTLED UP PRETTY GOOD.

GOD Hates You

Week 10 Thoughts

Post by GOD Hates You » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:33 am

"On another note, what in blue blazes was Belichick thinking last night? I can't believe he made a decision that amazingly stupid with the game on the line. He gift-wrapped that win for the Colts."

Tom,
When you were watching the game, and NE punted the ball to the INDY 30, in your mind, or maybe out loud, wouldn't you have said that Manning is going to score a TD?

Just wondering.

rkulaski

Week 10 Thoughts

Post by rkulaski » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Originally posted by GOD Hates You:
"On another note, what in blue blazes was Belichick thinking last night? I can't believe he made a decision that amazingly stupid with the game on the line. He gift-wrapped that win for the Colts."

Tom,
When you were watching the game, and NE punted the ball to the INDY 30, in your mind, or maybe out loud, wouldn't you have said that Manning is going to score a TD?

Just wondering. I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought it was the right call on 4th and 2. I don't like Belichek but I thought the chances of NE picking up the 2 yds was greater than their defense keeping Manning out of the end zone one last time.

Tom Kessenich

Week 10 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 am

Originally posted by GOD Hates You:

Tom,

Just wondering. It would have been a strong possibility. But once the Patriots failed on fourth down, I KNEW Peyton would score. There was a 100% chance of it in my opinion as opposed to maybe 80% if he had to start at his own 20 or 30. For me, I'm taking the higher percentage.

But here's my other problem with the call. If you're going to go for it, why not get the ball to one of your top two playmakers - Moss or Welker? I think Kevin Faulk is real good, don't get me wrong. But if I'm going to put the game on the line against the Colts, I'm going to do it with a play designed to go to Welker (who would have been my top choice) or Moss. Those are my best guys and those are the guys I want to win or lose with.

So on top of what I consider to be an incredibly awful decision by Belichick, I also question the reasoning of going to Kevin Faulk instead of Welker or Moss.

Some thoughts about last night's game:

The Browns are easily the worst team in the NFL. At least with other teams you think they might score a touchdown once in awhile. The Lions have Megatron; the Rams have Stephen Jackson. The Browns have zip. They truly stink.

What the heck has happened to Joe Flacco? Three straight horrible fantasy games in a row and he absolutely soiled the bed in an easy matchup last night. He's reverting and it's not pretty.

Hey look, Willis McGahee's still in the NFL.

Ray Rice is really really good.

Attention Steven Hauschka owners - you might want to start looking for a new kicker. I'm pretty sure the Ravens are going to look for a new one this week.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich