Who Goes No. 1 In 2005 NFFC Draft?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:30 am

Is it too early to start talking about the 2005 season? I hope not. If you had to choose a Top 10 list for 2005, who would be at the top of your list? Priest Holmes? LT? Drew Bennett? :D

I'd love to see some Top 10 lists and talk some football, even after the NFFC concludes. Lots of feedback is welcome.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:09 am

#1 A Healthy Holmes - no brainer
#2 LT
#3 James

I need to give the rest a little thought. Could be some surprises in the top ten.....McGahee,T.Bell etc.

There will definately be a changing of the guard at RB next year. Portis,Alexander and A.Green could be great value picks.

Manning,Culpepper - top 10 of most drafts?

Great thread Greg. Could reach record posts if enough owners are still active.

Merry Christmas and I hope your Packers pull out a high scoring affair tomorrow with Moss and Walker accounting for 6 scores.
:D

RC

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:19 am

I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday. We both think LT2 will be the indusputed No.1 pick in 2005 a-la Marshall Faulk of 2002. I think Priest's injury factor will finally drop him to the 2-6 slots, consistently.
For Players. By Players.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:49 am

As much as it goes against the "get your RB's theory", you gotta make a case for Peyton Manning.

I'm not nieve enough to believe he will put up 47+ TD's again, but there is no reason to think he won't hit 35-40! He is always healthy, and with ANYTHING else, he could put you in the running single-handily.

For example, I took him in the auction league and had what I considered a HORRIBLE draft. I also had M.Harrison, C.Dillon, J.Bettis/D.Staley, and that is about it. (also had C.Rogers and D.Foster but their injuries killed me!

I started out 0-3 and at the end of the season I was 9-4, 3rd in my league in points (only behind Fandango and regular season points champ for all auctions, Jersey Paul)

I did lose in the first round of the playoffs, but Manning got me there with not much else.

Take Manning at #1, get two solid RB's at #2 and #3, 2 WR's at #4 and #5, add in a few late round steals and savvy free agent pickups, and it has the makings of a pretty good season IMO!

Then again, Drew Bennett might be the ticket! :D

[ December 23, 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

johnbriganti

Post by johnbriganti » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:00 am

I would agree with Billywaz, but conditionally upon them signing E. James. Manning is only a gunslinger if the opposing defenses won't respect the run. In order to make play action work you have to have a legit running game - James gives him that.
Otherwise, I would agree the consensus #1 pick has to be LT, and yes, guys like Alexander, Green, Holmes, James et al are going to fall to places they haven't been drafted before bringing value down to the 7-14 spots.
I'm not sure I want to be drafting 1-5 next year (yes, that's right Greg - I did say next year).
Good thread though - I'll be checking for updates often on this one.

John
Johnny Football

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:15 am

I haven't seen a Top 10 list yet from anyone. Let me throw out these names to get you started:

LT
Holmes
Edgerrin James
Peyton Manning
Daunte Culpepper
Shaun Alexander
Ahman Green
Randy Moss or Terrell Owens???
Willis McGahee
Kevin or Julius Jones????
Jamal Lewis
Tiki Barber

Wow, that sure makes for an interesting first round in a 14-team league, doesn't it? I haven't ranked them, just thrown out some names. Now somebody show me a Top 10....or even a Top 5!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:39 am

All right Greg, here is my NFFC first round (thought you only wanted the first pick?) This is WAY early, but it is fun to do!

1. RB LaDanian Tomlinson (now has an offense around him)

2. QB Peyton Manning (James is supposed to be tagged, so Peyton will be HUGE!)

3. RB Edgerrin James (provided he stays in Indy)

4. RB Priest Holmes (trade rumors and how they plan to use LJ will determine rank)

5. RB Shaun Alexander (as long as he is in Seattle)

6. QB Daunte Culpepper (if Manning in the top 3, he can't go far behind)

7. WR Terrell Owens (Moss went #6 in my league last year, Owens should go around here)

8. RB Ahman Green (which one shows up, 2003 or 2004 Green?)

9. RB Clinton Portis (year two in D.C should be better with Jansen back!)

10. RB Deuce McAllister (the D is starting to gel, and once they get a lead (although rare), Deuce is a force.

11. WR Randy Moss (he is a STUD when healthy)

12. RB Tiki Barber (tough to ignore his production, but he gets NO respect and could easily slip to the 2nd round)

13. QB Donovan McNabb (he put up first round numbers, and that shouldn't change next year)

14. RB Curtis Martin (no love for C-Mart Greg? Behind that line he looks GOOD! Especially if Jordan goes elsewhere)

Just missed;

RB Brian Westbrook (Buckhalter returning could hurt, but 73 receptions through 14 games is nice!)
RB Domanick Davis
RB Fred Taylor
RB Jamal Lewis
RB Kevin Jones
RB Willis McGahee

All in all, there should be more talent than last year through the first two rounds.

The big catch next year is determining the #3 WR (Harrison, Horn, Holt, CJ, A.Johnson? and the #4 QB (good luck!), and more importantly, when to pull the trigger on them!

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:55 am

BILLY WAZ NOT BAD, BUT, I WOULD PUT J JONES ,K JONES AND DOMMINICK DAVIS IN THE TOP 14 , AND PUT CURTIS MARTIN , TIKI BARBER AND C PORTIS IN THE JUST MISS. LOOK AT WHAT C MARTIN AND TIKI DID IN 2003, TOGETHER THEY COMBINED FOR ABOUT 4 TOUCHDOWNS. HARD TO BELIEVE AND THEIR BOTH A YEAR OLDER.I WOULD RATHER TAKE THE YOUNG STUD INSTEAD OF THE OLD WARRIOR . I THINK J JONES IS GOING TO BE A MONSTER. THE ROTO PIMP
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:13 pm

1- LT

2- Holmes (if Healthy)

3- Alexander

4- D. Davis

5- E. James

6- R. Johnson

7- K. Jones

8- P. Manning

9- R. Moss

10- A. Green
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:29 pm

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
BILLY WAZ NOT BAD, BUT, I WOULD PUT J JONES ,K JONES AND DOMMINICK DAVIS IN THE TOP 14 , AND PUT CURTIS MARTIN , TIKI BARBER AND C PORTIS IN THE JUST MISS. LOOK AT WHAT C MARTIN AND TIKI DID IN 2003, TOGETHER THEY COMBINED FOR ABOUT 4 TOUCHDOWNS. HARD TO BELIEVE AND THEIR BOTH A YEAR OLDER.I WOULD RATHER TAKE THE YOUNG STUD INSTEAD OF THE OLD WARRIOR . I THINK J JONES IS GOING TO BE A MONSTER. THE ROTO PIMP EddieJag,

I could definitely see Barber and Martin going into the 2nd round (cause neither gets respect), but based on their numbers THIS past year (forget trends!), they certainly deserve to be there. Too many people are still remembering how explosive Portis was in Denver and remember that run on the first play against Tampa in Week one to let him slide to round two.

I like all three of the guys you mentioned, and I think either of the Jones boys and DD would make a great addition to any fantasy team if you had a late round pick. I do feel that they would be the next to go, if they didn't go in the first round, and all 3 wouldn't slip past the "#10 guy" in the second round.