is there going to be a basketball league?

Milkman Dead

Post by Milkman Dead » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:44 pm

Originally posted by Purple Helmets:
Greg...any update...or drop dead date where we know we need to look elsewhere?

And speaking of elsewhere...what are some other good fantasy basketball options (anyone)? Please advise...thanks.

Anything other than CDM? Yeah, it would be nice to know what league I'm playing in by this weekend.

I don't know any good options tho man...so I'm actually considering CDM.

stool pigeon

Post by stool pigeon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:08 am

Originally posted by johnmarkkarr:
I am hoping Greg will get approval--however, if not, we have someone who will run a high-stakes game--anywhere from $300 to $600--with scoring, one point per point, rebound, assist, steal, block--easy to follow--and more fun than rotisserie style--let's wait and see whether Greg gets something going--if not, perhaps we can see whether people are interested beginning this weekend. JMK. i'm not real sure that format is more fun, i would say less fun. that seems too easy and not enough strategy. and why would we want someone who none of us know (except you, no offense) run the league??? does he run other high stakes leagues??? is he going to get a % of the entry fee???

if greg can't put it together i'm sure we can come together on the board and get a league going. i'm willing to give greg his cut for the nfbaskc because he has a proven track record. if greg can't do it I say we do it ourselves and have no overhead.

just my .02c...
kaw f'ing kaw

johnmarkkarr

Post by johnmarkkarr » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:51 am

no problem--everyone should and will get their two cents--first of all, everything and anything will be disclosed--the idea on this is not for someone to make money, it's to get a league together for those who want to play--it's a shame Greg can't get an agreement with the NBA because he has worked his butt off to do so--I don't want to speak for the person running, but knowing him, I would imagine he's return just about all the entry fees to entrants. Personally, I have played both games, the one point per stat and rotisserie, and the one point is much better--the rotisserie is pretty boring, and seems more catered to a ``revenge of the nerds" crowd (just my opinion). Also, the simplicity of the point per makes it more attractive to casual players--and the goal of this, like other games, is to get as many people as possible to play (again, my opinion). Let's hope Greg can get something done; if not, we should gather as many people as possible, and then see what everyone thinks. JMK

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:02 am

I was on the phone with the NBA again yesterday and still can't get the green light. I'm obviously running out of time.

If I could pull this together at the last minute, who would be willing to play under our NFBBC rules we had last year (12 teams, 8 categories, Rotisserie style scoring, 16 players, 12 starters each week) at $600 per team? We'll pay the top three spots in each league and crown an overall champion with a non-monetary prize between the separate leagues.

I'd be willing to hold online drafts on Friday, Oct. 27, Saturday, Oct. 28 and/or Sunday, Oct. 29. If it makes sense, I'd even host drafts on separate nights to get everyone involved as all draft results will be held confidential. If others want a smaller league at $250 each, let me know that as well, but they obviously wouldn't be in contention for the overall prize.

Possible payouts (I can't finalize until I know what my expenses are):
1st place: $3,250
2nd place: $1,500
3rd place: $1,000

My goal is to do this with STATS and be licensed by the NBA. But I can't officially say that will happen at this point. If I'm not licensed, I won't do the league. So I apologize for the delay, but it's out of my control.

With this in mind, who would join the 2006-07 NFBBC:

Friday, Oct. 27, 7 p.m. EST online draft

Saturday, Oct. 28, 2 p.m. EST online draft

Sunday, Oct. 29, 6 p.m. EST online draft

No financial commitment needed, just a little help trying to determine if there's interest or not for multiple leagues and when everyone would like to draft. But honestly this is 50-50 at best from what I'm hearing from the league.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:05 am

I'm in for roto league, but have no interest in pts-per type league. $100,$200, $600...whatever. I am not quite sure how we would be able to pull this off by ourselves though. I trust others with money, but finding the best site would be my main concern. I would say yahoo because it's free and you can set up the league however you want. The only drawback with it is I believe it lacks FG%, which is a very important category for basketball IMO. If nothing is finalized by Greg by Sunday, we should start a thread for all who are serious and see what we can do. It looks as though we could easily get 12 people to play.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:10 am

Was typing when you posted above.

I am interested in $600 draft on any date. Man, I hope this goes through. I haven't done this much prepping for bball in a few years.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

jdobies64

Post by jdobies64 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:38 am

Greg, $600, same rules as last year, you can count me in.

Purple Helmets

Post by Purple Helmets » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:46 am

You can count me in...and I think we need to establish a date where we know we have to move forward with other options. I'm assuming that would be the end of business on Friday since nothing will happen over the weekend.
Living the dream!

Milkman Dead

Post by Milkman Dead » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:55 am

Mark me down for a $600 league, same rules as last year, drafting on Saturday.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:13 am

Originally posted by Purple Helmets:
You can count me in...and I think we need to establish a date where we know we have to move forward with other options. I'm assuming that would be the end of business on Friday since nothing will happen over the weekend. Agreed. I'm waiting for that return phone call today. By the way, we did the NBA.com Fantasy Basketball Magazine with the NBA, so feel free to find that one on newsstands now. There are plenty of other good NBA magazines on the newsstands, but this is also a good one.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius