NFFC Classic: Best Return On Investment In The NFFC

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:30 am

I think it's a mistake to over-react in de-emphasizing your 14-team brand in response to a rare, bizarre outlier year in the both NFL and Fantasy.

The perfect storm of the 1) NFL lockout, 2) the recession, and 3) the collapse of the WCOFF has led to an extreme distortion of the Fantasy landscape. Major changes to your business plan based on these events might be premature.

As already mentioned, it will be only the FFPC and the NFFC next year. If the NFFC changes it's emphasis in it's Main Event to be more like the FFPC (12 teams, no 3RR, no KDS) then there would be little reason to separate the two contests and not much hope for a big movement in customer base.

I sure as hell hope that the traditional Classic format isn't relegated to a small niche contest with a small prize that then lives only in obscurity. The NFFC has spent years building this brand, and now that there are only really two players in the HSFF market, it is time next year to really exploit the difference.

I love the NFFC and it's current offerings. Every penny of my Fantasy money is going to this great contest this year. I hope that the current emphasis on it's uniqueness remains. To give up on it now, just when the market is more concentrated and ripe for change, would be a potential misstep IMHO.

[ August 26, 2011, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:42 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
I think it's a mistake to over-react in de-emphasizing your 14-team brand in response to a rare, bizarre outlier year in the both NFL and Fantasy.

The perfect storm of the 1) NFL lockout, 2) the recession, and 3) the collapse of the WCOFF has led to an extreme distortion of the Fantasy landscape. Major changes to your business plan based on these events might be premature.

As already mentioned, it will be only the FFPC and the NFFC next year. If the NFFC changes it's emphasis in it's Main Event to be more like the FFPC (12 teams, no 3RR, no KDS) then there would be little reason to separate the two contests and not much hope for a big movement in customer base.

I sure as hell hope that the traditional Classic format isn't relegated to a small niche contest with a small prize that then lives only in obscurity. The NFFC has spent years building this brand, and now that there are only really two players in the HSFF market, it is time next year to really exploit the difference. My sentiments exactly. Don't overreact to a year of the bizarre by going away from what you made the NFFC all about.

Think about this Greg, those owners that play both events are loyal to the 14T regardless, if you make it so it's irrelevant and assume we will just take those monies and buy more PT teams you may be incorrect. Some may walk across the street, some may just take the money out of the space.

The 14T appeals to this group because it is more challenging and odds are you'll get our money for it no matter what. Lessen the thrill, the payout, the status and it may lessen the excitement that comes with being in it which well may lessen your total numbers overall. Just a thought...

On a side note, I would welcome a draft where we find out our draft spots the day of the event. Think that will reward the strongest drafters. You make that event and I will be in it!

[ August 26, 2011, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: BONGIZMO ]
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 am

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

I sure as hell hope that the traditional Classic format isn't relegated to a small niche contest with a small prize that then lives only in obscurity. The NFFC has spent years building this brand, and now that there are only really two players in the HSFF market, it is time next year to really exploit the difference. My sentiments exactly. Don't overreact to a year of the bizarre by going away from what you made the NFFC all about.

Think about this Greg, those owners that play both events are loyal to the 14T regardless, if you make it so it's irrelevant and assume we will just take those monies and buy more PT teams you may be incorrect. Some may walk across the street, some may just take the money out of the space.

The 14T appeals to this group because it is more challenging and odds are you'll get our money for it no matter what. Lessen the thrill, the payout, the status and it may lessen the excitement that comes with being in it which well may lessen your total numbers overall. Just a thought...

On a side note, I would welcome a draft where we find out our draft spots the day of the event. Think that will reward the strongest drafters. You make that event and I will be in it!
[/QUOTE]I like all your points, Scott.

You do bring up an interesting thought. There are probably a lot of players who stick with the NFFC because they like the 14 team games, AND they go ahead and play in the 12 team NFFC games too to stay in one place.

If the 14 team games become marginalized with smaller Grand Prizes, then they may just walk across the street to the FFPC and play all 12-teamers over there.

The importance of maintaining a worthwhile 14 team presence should not be underestimated.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:42 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

[/QUOTE]I like all your points, Scott.

You do bring up an interesting thought. There are probably a lot of players who stick with the NFFC because they like the 14 team games, AND they go ahead and play in the 12 team NFFC games too to stay in one place.

If the 14 team games become marginalized with smaller Grand Prizes, then they may just walk across the street to the FFPC and play all 12-teamers over there.

The importance of maintaining a worthwhile 14 team presence should not be underestimated.
[/QUOTE]Agree with all of these. The Primetime will grow and dwarf the Classic someday soon if not now. The 14 will never be as big as the 12. The fact is because it is really, really hard. The best players play there because of the challenge and the competition. A lot of guys dont like it because they are really good in a 12 team league and get crushed in a 14 team. Scott from Red vs. Blue was a perfect example last week. You could hear it in his voice, calling the 14 team a tough nut to crack. I took that as not much success in a 14 and not liking it nearly as much as all 12s he is in. Nothing wrong with that, he is a great fantasy player, sounds like he prefers 12 because that is where his success has been. The 12 is for the masses and the 14 for the die hards. I bet 1200 of the 1500 guys in the FPC would not even consider a 14 team league. They think it is crazy. I talk to guys like that all the time. Sell the Classic for what it is, the toughest draft, best players, and fiercest competition. A lot of us feel it is the toughest and most prestigious title to win, let everyone on the street know that also next year. You need a few good "Mad Men" for the pitch. Not having the magazines hurt more the most. They are what drive the HSFF traffic for new players.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:04 am

The 14 teamer is as close to the fantasy baseball contest as you can get in football

Not sure that comment will sell more apples though.. Feel free to delete Greg :D

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:11 am

i don't think greg wants to limit anything. i think greg will base his decision mostly on the bottom line...at what number of entries is the 14 teamer profitable? remember this is still a business

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:21 am

Originally posted by TOMDOG:
Just a suggestion.
Reach out to say John Hansen,the fantasy guru,and trade a spot for his promotional value,his website and his serius satellite show.And do the same for Greg Rosenthal,he now works for Mike Florio at PFT,these would reach many thousands,and itmight not make a hugre difference this year,but the association would surely help next year,i just know it.
Put them in the league with Gekko and me and Chad and talk Steve Luzzi into it as well and bring Benetti out of retirement and hook up Tommypickles via phone and Get my man Dave Gerzak in it too,promote the crap out of it and LETS DRAFT.
iT WOULD HELP THE CONTEST MUCH FOR NEXT YEAR,IMHO. This is an excellent idea.

I'm also game for just-in-time slots for the DIamond.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 am

Hey Tom, I have talked to both John and Gregg. John is real busy and said he couldn't commit to a league with us this year. Gregg also really wanted to play but he's about to become a dad and has his attention - and money - focused on that new addition to the family.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:01 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Hey Tom, I have talked to both John and Gregg. John is real busy and said he couldn't commit to a league with us this year. Gregg also really wanted to play but he's about to become a dad and has his attention - and money - focused on that new addition to the family. I think Yates is saying trade an entry for promotional value. That way those FF gurus wouldn't need any money, provided they give you promotional value.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:17 am

Originally posted by DoubleG:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Hey Tom, I have talked to both John and Gregg. John is real busy and said he couldn't commit to a league with us this year. Gregg also really wanted to play but he's about to become a dad and has his attention - and money - focused on that new addition to the family. I think Yates is saying trade an entry for promotional value. That way those FF gurus wouldn't need any money, provided they give you promotional value. [/QUOTE]That was discussed. John couldn't find the time to do it and Gregg has the new baby on the way.

[ August 26, 2011, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich