Is H2H Really The Bastion Of Fantasy Football?

TradeStar28

Re: Is H2H Really The Bastion Of Fantasy Football?

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:02 pm

KJ- I actually never signed up for a DC event ever. I always figured i would do well at them because i am the master of leaving points on the bench due to drafting teams with a sick amount of depth. So its hard decisions that kept me out of the top 5 overall this year in both classic and primetime.

i am gonna try DC in 2013.
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm planning a private league for next year that using something similar to Fantasy Jungle, but with 2 components to the VP:

All Play: 1 VP for each team you outscore (so from 0 to 11 VP each week in the 12-team formats)
H2H Record: 7 VP for each win, 3.5 VP for a Tie, 0 for a Loss
If you implemented this is Classic, I'd probably go to 8 VP for the H2H wins to keep the similar ratio with the All Play component (which would be 0 to 13 in the 14-team format).

Each week teams can earn between 0 and 18 VP depending on how they finish in league scoring for the week -- the high scorer will get 11 for the All Play and 7 more for their H2H win. I used to run a 10-team VP system similar to this a few years ago, and found that it's better to award a little less for the H2H win than the top score each week (we used 6 for H2H wins and 0-9 for All Play) -- when you give the same amount for the Wins as the Top Score All-Play component, then the All-Play kind of gets drowned out by the H2H, this ratio works better.

This system rewards consistently strong teams who get unlucky in the H2H schedule, while handicapping weak teams who get luck in the H2H schedule. You still get the exciting H2H component, but you also have to be concerned with your league score ranking every week -- you need to do a lot more than just outlast your opponent and move onto the next week.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 pm

TradeStar28 wrote:
kjduke wrote:
TradeStar28 wrote: Also, boobies in my face in a vegas hotel room in late August 2013 makes me super excited!
So you'd scrap H2H and implement B2B? :D

I'm a B2B guy...no doubt! But the B's better be from some girl named Chelsea....and not some dude Bob from Dickeyville, Wisconsin from Primetime League 20.....lol

Btw Greg, you ever been to Dickeyville ? :lol:
Yes, Dickeyville is a few miles from where I went to college, and that's the truth. Went through there on the way to Dubuque to gamble at Iowa's fine dog track!! 8-)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 pm

I also loved the all-play at fantasy jungle! It's 100000 times more fair too as everyone gets the advantage in week 5 vs me when I have 5 players off. Or everyone gets the advantage when one guy starts 2 players on a bye, not one lucky owner. Etc, etc! It's plenty exciting too (people who say it isn't don't get it I guess? Or they are lying?), I mean it's Monday night, you are 9.2 back from one owner, 13.7 back from the next and 18.9 back from first place and you have Brandon Marshall. HOW IS THAT NOT EXCITING?!?! But I personally think there is a 0% chance you'll ever see all-play at the NFFC but that's just my opinion.

As for why this thread was originally started: Back in Martz first year of OC in Chicago I finished 3rd in points in the Chicago Classic league but I didn't get in the playoffs because a lucky owner won H2H. Did I start a message board thread about changing this? No. Did I think I should have been in? Sure because the H2H winner was lucky. Was the team really that worthy of a spot? No. Did the team go NUTS with Jay Cutler and Johnny Knox (hahahaha)? YES! And I won money in the consolation bracket, I felt like I got what I deserved from the team. For the love of God have one contest where you don't get in just by signing up! Those teams who didn't get in were because the random luck of H2H, I see they lost spots to a 5, 7, 9 and 11th place teams. Maybe make it so you have to finish in at least the top 5 or 6 in points to win the H2H title, anything else is pure luck

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 am

I know it is not the consensus on this forum, but I do believe there are a lot of people who enjoy a H2H fantasy football game each week. These are not just the small time players in home leagues. I enjoy monitoring my game vs my opponent. I enjoy making lineup decisions based somewhat on what I think my opponents team may score. I like watching a Monday night game, and rooting for the Giants to get a first down, to run more clock and keep my opponents WR (Dez Bryant) off the field so I can hold onto my 4.6 point lead and ultimately win my game.

A total points race , while I would still play, would get kind of boring. As it currently is defined, H2H has limited impact on the contest because having a good H2H record only helps if you win the league outright. Something very unlikely to happen if you are a team that scores middle of the road in total. Say your team gets banged up early in the season, or you run into bad luck with horrible weather games for your QB and WR or games just break oddly. So many luck based factors impact the stats... Say by week 7 your team is rounding into shape, has a 4-3 record and is certainly one of the best teams in the league, but you are well back in total points. You only have one chance to win league prizes and that is to finish first in H2H outright.

How do people feel about the "beat half the field" for win format we have in weeks one and two?