3RR In The NFFC: Necessary Or Unnecessary Evil?

driftin

Re: 3RR In The NFFC: Necessary Or Unnecessary Evil?

Post by driftin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:40 pm

If you are happy where it is at, then fine continue on.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:43 pm

There's only one contest with a $350 entry that has more participants than we do and that contest also has unique aspects that are non-traditional or a "gimmick" if you will. So saying we're not growing due to a gimmick may have some truth but it's difficult for me to believe that's the primary reason. I could be wrong. Been wrong before but since every contest in the industry has "gimmicks" of some kind it stands to reason there are other aspects at play.

Maybe people just don't like me and Greg.

Well maybe Greg. I'm lovable as hell. :D

And nobody is saying or has suggested we're content to be where we are. The plan is to grow the contest even more. We are constantly looking for ways to do that which is why we are encouraging this debate and all others. :) I'm just pointing out that's factually incorrect to say the Online Championship isn't growing or is stagnant.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Again, what I'm curious to know is why is 3RR considered a "gimmick" but contests with other non-traditional aspects are not. That doesn't make any sense to me. Never has.
Tom, it's tough to have a rational argument with someone who has no interest in analysis and just wants to push their opinion. They'll just keep saying the same thing over and over again and try to win followers with volume, or by embedding a phrase with negative connotation (like gimmick) while offering no substantiation for argument.

Are slow drafts a gimmick? Is the cutline a gimmick? Is all of fantasy football just a gimmick? Speaking of which ... the forward pass - that is a REAL gimmick. Just ask Vince Lombardi. :P
Last edited by kjduke on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

driftin

Post by driftin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Lol you are a funny guy KJ. I just gave my opinion just like you as to why the contest doesnt grow at the same pace as another contest. You feel you have all the answers and it is because most people are dumber than you. Yep that is the answer obviously.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:58 pm

I just had to put 4 new ties on my wife's car. You buy 3 and get the 4th free. Wait a second.... Was that a gimmick.oh well , bottom line I was happy. :D
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:58 pm

KJ, I think it's a valid point to say 3RR could possibly be impeding the growth of the NFFC in some fashion. I don't deny that possibility at all. And I do agree it's a non-traditional aspect of fantasy football and I do agree it's possible new players don't understand or don't like it when they hear about it and move on. All of those points are valid and worthy of discussion. I've always found it curious, though, when someone says people don't like 3RR (Niche A for example) and are going to play in another contest that uses Niche B.

So it seems to me that if there is an impediment to us growing our contest even more than we have every year for the past six dating all the way back to our Fanball days than we need to examine all potential factors. I'm not sure it's primarily about 3RR although I agree that it could be a contributing factor. But like I said, maybe it's all about 3RR. Perhaps we're the only high-stakes contest with a niche element that people don't like and they embrace everyone else's but hate ours. I can't rule that out.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:58 pm

driftin wrote:Lol you are a funny guy KJ. I just gave my opinion just like you as to why the contest doesnt grow at the same pace as another contest. You feel you have all the answers and it is because most people are dumber than you. Yep that is the answer obviously.
I don't have all the answers drift, as I said earlier, but I do believe in analysis over unsubstantiated opinion.

driftin

Post by driftin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Not an opinion it is a fact that the other contest gets 5 times as many entries.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:KJ, I think it's a valid point to say 3RR could possibly be impeding the growth of the NFFC in some fashion. I don't deny that possibility at all. And I do agree it's a non-traditional aspect of fantasy football and I do agree it's possible new players don't understand or don't like it when they hear about it and move on. All of those points are valid and worthy of discussion. I've always found it curious, though, when someone says people don't like 3RR (Niche A for example) and are going to play in another contest that uses Niche B.

So it seems to me that if there is an impediment to us growing our contest even more than we have every year for the past six dating all the way back to our Fanball days than we need to examine all potential factors. I'm not sure it's primarily about 3RR although I agree that it could be a contributing factor. But like I said, maybe it's all about 3RR. Perhaps we're the only high-stakes contest with a niche element that people don't like and they embrace everyone else's but hate ours. I can't rule that out.
I don't disagree that some people don't like it, but I don't think it's because they're confused or intimidated by it. If you put in the time to be at all competitive at this level, 3RR can't possibly be intimidating.

Of all the, let's call them peculiarities ;) of the different national contests, 3RR is the only one that addresses the fairness and level-playing-field aspect of the contest. Changing scoring for TE's or having a double-flex instead of a single-flex or no flex, or having 10 or 12 or 14 owners in a league ... none of those affect any kind of fairness - they just move players around your cheat sheet.

Not having 3RR plays more heavily on the luck factor, so what may be plausible is that you lose some players that feel they need luck on their side to win, but on the flipside, you may gain more players that feel like a fairer draft gives them a better chance for skill to win out over time.

driftin

Post by driftin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Now that was well written and done without degrading someone or questioning someone's intelligence. I knew you had it in you. Great job.....