Is it time for 1/2 ppr?

TR

Re: Is it time for 1/2 ppr?

Post by TR » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:32 pm

TR wrote:
renman wrote:I agree with whoever made the point about TE scoring 1.5 being a negative. I haven't even considered that event mainly because of that scoring quirk. The only reason I brought up this topic and started the thread (other than that I enjoy banter about fantasy football in general) is due to how the passing game has exploded in the last 5 years or so to the point that we will likely see less and less non receivers ever taken in the first round. I posed this question earlier. Should a workhorse RB who sees 65% of the snaps and gets 18 touches be easily outscored by a 3rd down back who sees 20% of the snaps and gets 6 touches? I do not personally have ultra strong feelings about it and will play the game either way. I simply wondered how others felt.
I definitely feel it shouldn't be so easy for the workhorse RB to be outscored by 3rd down back...the original rule of 1/2 pt per RB was good..fanduel got that part right.

Adding to this, it really makes no sense that a RB can catch a screen pass for a loss of yards..yet still be rewarded with positive fantasy points because of the PPR...or even 1 point for no gain is ridiculous. What other negative plays in football get rewarded with positive fantasy pts? NFFC had this right originally with the 1/2 PPR and just further makes me believe fanduel scoring system has it right.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:59 pm

A tweak like taking 1/2 pt PPR from RB or adding it to TE doesn't move the needle on my "what would make the game better/fairer" for me. Likewise on QB scoring.

If we want to discuss something that is way, way overdue as a fantasy point generator ... how about awarding points for First Downs? One of the most valuable statistics in the game that is completely ignored by fantasy.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Here's a similar thread from 2 years ago: http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12742

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:22 am

TR wrote:
TR wrote:
renman wrote:I agree with whoever made the point about TE scoring 1.5 being a negative. I haven't even considered that event mainly because of that scoring quirk. The only reason I brought up this topic and started the thread (other than that I enjoy banter about fantasy football in general) is due to how the passing game has exploded in the last 5 years or so to the point that we will likely see less and less non receivers ever taken in the first round. I posed this question earlier. Should a workhorse RB who sees 65% of the snaps and gets 18 touches be easily outscored by a 3rd down back who sees 20% of the snaps and gets 6 touches? I do not personally have ultra strong feelings about it and will play the game either way. I simply wondered how others felt.
I definitely feel it shouldn't be so easy for the workhorse RB to be outscored by 3rd down back...the original rule of 1/2 pt per RB was good..fanduel got that part right.

Adding to this, it really makes no sense that a RB can catch a screen pass for a loss of yards..yet still be rewarded with positive fantasy points because of the PPR...or even 1 point for no gain is ridiculous. What other negative plays in football get rewarded with positive fantasy pts? NFFC had this right originally with the 1/2 PPR and just further makes me believe fanduel scoring system has it right.
FanDuel uses kickers (where DraftKings does not). If you don't have the 20 point kicker......good luck winning a tournament. FanDuel certainly doesn't have it right.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:24 am

kjduke wrote:A tweak like taking 1/2 pt PPR from RB or adding it to TE doesn't move the needle on my "what would make the game better/fairer" for me. Likewise on QB scoring.

If we want to discuss something that is way, way overdue as a fantasy point generator ... how about awarding points for First Downs? One of the most valuable statistics in the game that is completely ignored by fantasy.
While I agree with this KJ, is it an actual statistic? Also, wouldn't this make the QB's WAY more valuable, or were you just thinking the person who had the ball and made the first down?

TR

Post by TR » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:44 am

I definitely feel it shouldn't be so easy for the workhorse RB to be outscored by 3rd down back...the original rule of 1/2 pt per RB was good..fanduel got that part right.[/quote]

Adding to this, it really makes no sense that a RB can catch a screen pass for a loss of yards..yet still be rewarded with positive fantasy points because of the PPR...or even 1 point for no gain is ridiculous. What other negative plays in football get rewarded with positive fantasy pts? NFFC had this right originally with the 1/2 PPR and just further makes me believe fanduel scoring system has it right.[/quote]

FanDuel uses kickers (where DraftKings does not). If you don't have the 20 point kicker......good luck winning a tournament. FanDuel certainly doesn't have it right.[/quote]

I was referring to the 1/2 PPR part...I've never played DraftKings but all the more reason not to if they don't have kickers and do have late swap.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:06 pm

BillyWaz wrote:
kjduke wrote:A tweak like taking 1/2 pt PPR from RB or adding it to TE doesn't move the needle on my "what would make the game better/fairer" for me. Likewise on QB scoring.

While I agree with this KJ, is it an actual statistic? Also, wouldn't this make the QB's WAY more valuable, or were you just thinking the person who had the ball and made the first down?
Make first down a point for whoever has the ball, cut PPR for all players to 0.5 to offset. Last year the average team had 22 receptions and 12 first downs per game, so cutting PPR in half is almost a perfect offset to keep flex scoring in balance with other positions, but it shifts points to players doing something more valuable on the field. It's a tracked stat, just need to get it added to box scores. Also could do +1 for receiver drawing a pass interference penalty.

renman

Post by renman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Interesting question about first downs. I never saw that as a "stat" that anyone really thinks about. I understand making a first down in real football is important, but never saw it as a tracked stat. Like receptions, yards, tds, etc. Back to my point for starting the threads. It is more about the draft. I personally like when people enter a draft and they really have to make a decision as to whether they want to take an RB, WR or even QB. With the explosion in passing most people look to wait on QB's because you can find so many good ones later in the draft. With the huge reception numbers WR's now have exploded and are taking over the first round.

Like I said earlier.. how many RB's do people think will go in the first round next year? 3 or 4 and 2 of them will be coming off huge injuries. If it was 1/2 ppr it might make for some tougher decisions. Again, I am NOT POLITICKING for the change just fostering some dialogue on the topic.

jdferenc

Post by jdferenc » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:58 am

I like the scoring system the way it is and would not want it changed.
Josh Ferenc
2005 NFFC Classic Champion
Free-Rolling In The NFFC For Life Baby!

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:55 am

Getting rid of 3RR wouldn't kill me. Although I do like it. If greg and and Tom think it stunt's the growth of the contest then maybe they should. But doing so probably takes KDS along with it. I mean without 3RR who isn't going to want to pick at the top? But what i would not want to see is going to 4 pts per passing TD. There are 3 major companies here as everyone knows. One has 1.5 for TE's, one has 11 starters instead of 10 etc...And The NFFC has 6 pts passing Td's. All three need to have something that is a little different. We don't need a universal scoring system down to the T across the board in my opinion.