NFFC Ruling On Texans-Ravens Game

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Originally posted by Fudgie the Whale:
John,
Let me try and insert a viewpoint here that doesn't resort to arguments, and/or name calling. I can only speak from my own experience here, so let me lay out my thoughts leading up to today.

First, I did take into consideration the potential for a washout. I saw this as only the most remote of possibilities. I don't think I was alone in this train of thought. If you read through the posts on the other thread, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who did not think the NFL would find a way to get this game played this week, right down to Tom and Greg.

You could say I covered black AND red on the roulette wheel, and double zero hit. Four times in a row.

I'm not angry at anyone here, and I don't think I've been cheated, but it is a bad beat any way you look at it.

With FAAB, there are limited dollars to spend. I would not have drafted both Andre Johnson AND Derrick Mason as starters if I knew at the time they would be on a "bye week" at the same time.

You suggest that perhaps I could have been better prepared, but seriously, now, how could I possibly afford not only the four slots on my roster I would have to cut to fill out my line-up, but the dollars it would cost to get those players and still be competitive for the rest of the season? Agreed, there is only so much planning you can do for something that is unlikely to happen. I'd bet it's more likely you lose a guy to a hammy during warm ups than a 4-week game postponement.

It's just a bad break. Some of my teams will lose players because of this, nothing as bad as yours Fudgie. Good luck with the rest of your team.

[ September 13, 2008, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:54 pm

As to a solution going forward, might I suggest an entirely different approach to the free agent process?

1. Waivers with bidding runs, as now, on a designated day each week. (An earlier day than the current Friday). Any player not currently on a team is considered to be "on waivers", and up for bidding.

2. After waivers have run, ANY PLAYER not on a roster is considered to be a free agent. These players can be added to a roster at no cost, at any time.

3. Any player DROPPED in a waiver transaction, is thereafter considered to be ON WAIVERS for a 24 hour time period. All teams have the opportunity in those 24 hours to place a bid on that player. Waivers would run at a designated time each night for these waived players. It would simply require a new link on each league's home page that showed players currently on waivers.

This procedure would still give every team an equal opportunity to bid on the players that are available. After that opportunity passes, it's first come first served. It really is not unlike the pros, when a player that clears waivers is open game to all teams. It would also allow teams to cover a last second injury or, as in this case, natural disaster that adversely affects their team with a replacement after waivers have run.

Thoughts?

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Right back at'cha KJ...

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Let me also apologize to Tom and Greg for my initial outburst. I was out enjoying the night and came home to find out about the cancellation.

Needless to say it caught me by surprise.

I agree with you that there was no other viable alternative to your decision.

I had considered the possibility it would happen, but, like most, I did not see it happening.

It was shortsighted of me to not replace my kicker for the weekend. As to my position players though, my hands were pretty much tied. I simply did not have enough guys to drop to cover my empty slots.

I do strongly believe, however, that we must address this for the future to prevent these type of scenarios from occuring in the future.

Thanks and good luck to all, especially those in the afflicted areas.

Max Factor

Post by Max Factor » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Fudgie,

That's truly a gentlemens response to a difficult fantasy situation.

This in no way will effect my love for Carvel!!

Living in Florida I know what the emotional distress people in Texas are having. Our prayers are with you.
Jeff Potok

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Actually Fudgie I and many gamers do draft two kickers, always have and always will.

I realize that the reality of the loss from the hurricane is the true devastation at heart, and my prayers go out to them.

I also think that we paid large cash, put drafts together with bye week considerations, and made our waiver choices this week based on the belief that Baltimore and Houston were playing this weekend.

In the NBC main this week, my starting roster includes:
Andre Johnson
Derrick Mason
Kris Brown
AND
Kevin Walter in the flex ( I have Steve Smith of CAR in the wings)

Tell me how I replace not one, but THREE position players when waivers have already run?

Then you offer a short "chastisement" that "some owners backed up their kickers and D"??? C'mon guys. How many people drafted two kickers?

You are, in effect, asking me to take multiple zeros this week as a result of your decision. That decision will most assuredly cost me any hope of a win this week, but could also seriously impact my chances of finishing in the money over the long haul.

Excuse me if I think you have made a terrible decision.
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:44 pm

Ofcourse their is nuttin that can be done this year .....but to keep any future problems to a minimum in certain situations like Mother nature... maybe NFFC bumps up the NFFC classic to 20 roster spots for the draft with a roster requirement for -

2 QB
2 TE's
2 Kickers
2 Defense
6 RB's
6 WR's

i dunno...their are really no good solutions here....I feel sorry for who ever got fugged unintentionally but its out of NFFC's hands.

More importantly, I hope that the people who really suffered in real life can get back on their feet sooner than later
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Kris Brown is my kicker in 8 leagues but to make matters even worst, I bet I'm the only team going without a QB in the main event.

:(

We have Matt Schaub backed up by Rosenfels at QB.

I claim complete ignorance. I didn't know it was a possibility for the nfl to change the game to a different week. I just assumed they would change locations if it couldn't be played in Houston. I also had no idea that the nffc would count it as a bye week. None of this even occured to me. This really hurts.

Wayne

[ September 14, 2008, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Coltsfan ]

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:27 am

Posted this on the other thread, but this is something foe everyone to consider:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For all those who are saying things along the lines of "You should have planned for it, deal with it", let me throw out a slightly different scenario.

Let's say it's late in the season, and there is a team in your league that has basically given up. They submit a roster that is full of guys on bye or injured and out. They are playing against someone you REALLY need to lose so that you can make the championship round.

Think you just might shoot an email to Greg complaining that it isn't fair?

Keep in mind that even though this is only week 2, the NFFC is basically a 13 week sprint. Each and every game has deep implications on who does, and who does not finish in the money. In the long run, this game can seriously impact not only the teams dealing with roster issues this week, but YOUR team at the end of the season.

Sound Advice

Post by Sound Advice » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:28 am

As to a solution going forward... My suggestion wouldn't be quite as drastic.
I might add this statement somewhere in the rules:

"If the NFL cancels games for any reason the players from that team will receive ZEROS for that week if they are in a starting line-up."

And you might consider this contingency (in case of a major disaster):
"If more than 1/2(or 1/4?) of the NFL schedule is canceled any given week, we will cancel ALL scoring that week and everyone will receive a tie and 0 points." (We could call it the Father's Day contingency.)

Then let everyone draft and manage their teams anyway they want.

[ September 14, 2008, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Sound Advice ]