Question Of The Week: Can You Win With Brady?

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:53 am

Originally posted by Nag':
[But if anything, people should know that this is the type of information they will find on BFD and even though I gave this one away for free, there are 100 more they will get from BFD which will be well worth the subscription. [/QB][/quote]

Cadillac Williams, anyone. jk Lou.

da bears

Post by da bears » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:58 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Brady's year was very comparable to the dominating season that LT had in 2006 (in the fact that there wasn't anyone close in points at their respective positions).

In 2006, I believe there were 23 leagues in the NFFC. If I recall correctly, there were 17 or 18 teams who had him that made the playoffs (74% or 78%).

Now teams took Brady in rounds 3 or 4, and could have had two or three SOLID picks in place before Brady (where LT owners obviously took him in the first three picks)and they somehow only accounted for 34% of the playoff teams. Using this logic, there should have been 78% PLUS teams who made the playoffs last season.

Why didn't more Brady owners make the playoffs?

Some theories.....

1) INJURIES- Injuries were obviously up from last year, and that could have been a big reason.

2) 3RR- The fact that teams couldn't "load up" from the front of the draft, might have been a reason also. However, MANY Brady owners had a 1-5 pick (meaning they paired him with LT, S-Jax, Larry Johnson, Addai, etc.) yet still didn't make the playoffs.

3) BAD DRAFT- Simply put, they chose players who simply didn't produce.

Whatever the case, I am shocked there weren't AT LEAST 60%+ Brady owners in the playoffs. Yeah I agree with you Billy, I really figured that more than 34% of the owners would have won their leagues or made the playoffs with Brady.

I do think injuries were a big factor but they also will be a big factor again this year I predict.

Just look at baseball this season, guys are dropping like flies again this year and I fully expect this trend to continue in football this season.

Like someone said, I think it was Rob, its all about getting 140 or points from your ten guys. How you get those points doesn't matter, but starting off with a guy that could give you 30-35 pts a week is a heck of a start.
Bauler Shot Caller

TexasHeat

Post by TexasHeat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:04 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
That's why they call it a career year...it only happens ONCE in a players entire career.
~Lance Ive always thought of the phrase "career year" to be specific to a players personal best season of their career. In other words if Brady somehow surpasses his '07 numbers in '08, then 2008 Brady will have had a "career year".

I know this post adds nothing to the thread, but I'm bored.
"That's how you become great man, hang your balls out there"

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:06 am

Originally posted by TexasHeat:

I know this post adds nothing to the thread, but I'm bored. It's as meaningful as anything else I've read here...including the dribble I've written. ;)

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:11 am

WELL THE THING WE DO KNOW IS THAT BRADY INDEED WILL BE DRAFTED IN THE FIRST ROUND. WE WILL JUST HAVE TO SEE HOW IT PLAYS OUT.

PERSONALLY I THINK YOU CAN DRAFT BRADY WITH A DOUBLE DIGIT FIRST PICK AND BE O.K.

IF YOU CAN GET A SOLID 1A RB ON THE TURN THEN YOU ARE O.K.

MANNING WILL PROBABLY GO IN THE SECOND SO IN THEORY BOTH TEAMS WILL BE IN THE SAME BOAT.

JUST WITH THE MANNING TEAM HAVING THE STRONGER RB IN THEORY THAT IS.

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:30 am

Have to say, it takes points of 125-135 per game in NFFC to give yourself a great chance to win your league. If Brady regresses to where Romo and Manning were last year then you just got your stud QB 1 round early...not hard to overcome.

28 ppg out of Brady
10 ppg out of a Defense
9 ppg out of a kicker
leaves 80 points you need out of 7 other guys.
Not terribly difficult to do.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
Have to say, it takes points of 125-135 per game in NFFC to give yourself a great chance to win your league. If Brady regresses to where Romo and Manning were last year then you just got your stud QB 1 round early...not hard to overcome.

28 ppg out of Brady
10 ppg out of a Defense
9 ppg out of a kicker
leaves 80 points you need out of 7 other guys.
Not terribly difficult to do. I agree with your point, but I don't believe anyone won their NFFC league averaging 125 points and I doubt many won or came in 2nd even averaging 135 points. Although with h2h someone might have gotten a bunch of "lucky" matchups.
I believe the other 7 will have to get closer to 90 points, in your example, instead of 80 to give you a reasonable chance of winning or placing 2nd. Still, very achievable.

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:14 am

Right my bad, the top lifetime leaders are around 129 points per week, but last year it took 137+ to make the playoffs. So 140 per week to win a league or be top 2...

I won my league in 2005 with Manning first round. He ended up being the #1 QB by a tiny margin, not enough to warrant a 1st round pick. Point is that he wasn't a bust, I got him with pick #11 and got my 26ppg and had a solid rest of the draft...

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:32 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':
[But if anything, people should know that this is the type of information they will find on BFD and even though I gave this one away for free, there are 100 more they will get from BFD which will be well worth the subscription. [/QUOTE]Cadillac Williams, anyone. jk Lou. [/QB][/quote]

Not a problem, but it would have been a great call if he made it past 4 games. Still can't believe it.
They finished 8th in RB Fantasy Points. Earnest Grahm isn't (wasn't) better than Caddy. But he was heallthy.

GMs Car.Yrds TD Re.Re.YrdTD Pts PsGm
8.Bucs RB 16 388 1,590 14 105 780 1 327.0 20.4

Anyway. Brady makes up 1-10th of a lineup. Give him 500 points a TD and it STILL doesn't make him a better QB/player. he can only outscore 1-10th of everyone eleses lineup.

RBs on the other hand make up 20-30% of a lineup (WRs 30-40%)
so they have the potential to outscore the other teams position at a far more significant pace.

I would like to know how many Romo owners made the Championship and how many Roethlisberger owners. If it's even half as many as Brady (each)that's significant.

3'