Question Of The Week: Can You Win With Brady?

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:49 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
...what SNAKE would like to know is, of the 66% of Brady owners who did not make the playoffs last season, what did their respective player infirmary wards look like?...SNAKE Yea,but I think anyone could give a long list. Mine was really long, and included guys that never got hurt. But It also includes Jerious Norwood.
Injuries are the great eraser of all FF debates.

3'

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:23 am

Originally posted by 3intboyBFD:
[ Anyway. Brady makes up 1-10th of a lineup. Give him 500 points a TD and it STILL doesn't make him a better QB/player. he can only outscore 1-10th of everyone eleses lineup.

RBs on the other hand make up 20-30% of a lineup (WRs 30-40%)
so they have the potential to outscore the other teams position at a far more significant pace.

I would like to know how many Romo owners made the Championship and how many Roethlisberger owners. If it's even half as many as Brady (each)that's significant.

3' [/QB][/quote]

Lou, no one , at least I'm not, disagreeing that NFFC uses only 1 QB and you must also use at least 2 RB's and 3 WR's.
The only issue is if you take a QB in round 1 then you will probably need to take a RB or WR in the round you normally would have taken a QB. All your others picks could be exactly the same. So for instance if you went RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-WR-QB in the 1st 7 rounds, you could have the same exact players in rounds 2-6 regardless if you took a QB in round 1.
Then the only question is will your QB in round 1 (Brady) and the RB you select in round 7 put up more or less points than the RB you passed in round 1 and the QB you would have taken in round 7.
In that example after 7 rounds you will have a QB, 2RB's, 3WR's and a TE. For illustrtation let's assume in one case you took Brady in round 1 and Felix Jones in round 7. In the other case you took M Barber in round 1 and J Cutler in round 7. The players in rounds 2-6 are identical in both scenarios; so the only question is will Brady/Jones or Barber/Cutler score better.
As I've said, if you believe Brady has the potential to approach last year's performance then I would want the Brady/Jones duo. If you believe Brady will fall back closer to his performances in previous years, then the Barber/Cutler combo may be better.
But with a schedule easier on paper than last year and a healthy Moss and Welker and a still pi$$ed off Belicheck, I personally like Brady's prospects this year. Obviously that could chnage before Sept.
As far as the number of Romo/Roethlisberger owners reaching the playoffs; You would expect through normal dirtribution for about 4 Romo owners to make it and about 4 Roethlisberger owners to make it, so if half as many of them made it as Brady owners (9) then that would just be the normal expected distribution.
Also, I'm not sure what that would prove. For instance someone like you could draft Elmer Fudd as your opening day starting QB and I would still expect to see you close to if not in the playoffs after week 13. All draftors are not created equal.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:40 am

Can you win with Brady?

Yes.

Can you win with Vince Young?

Yes.

Key word is CAN.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:45 am

Can you win with Josh McCown, Alex Smith, any Bears QB, any Jets QB, any Bills QB, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Ryan, Jeff Garcia, any KC QB, Jamarcus Russell, any Ravens QB?

No.

The key word is NO. :D

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:17 pm

In our league Money Mike selected Brady picked 5th and here is his team.

1. Frank Gore
2. Torry Holt
3. Anquan Boldin
4. TOM BRADY
5. Santana Moss
6. Lamont Jordan
7. J. Cotchery
8. Crumpler
9. Michael Turner
10. Dallas Clark

There weren't any significant additions after this. He missed the playoffs by 70 points. His team suffered several injuries and some bad luck with Holt, Boldin, and Moss. His draft wasn't perfect but the team was very competitive until the wheels came off towards the end of the year.

Mike is a good drafter and he might have made a couple of different decisions but it was a strong team going in and even if you do a good job your team can still fall apart.

To win you just have to hit on more than one pick. If I'm staring Brady or Larry Johnson in the face with the 10th pick, I know who I'll take. I don't want my season to end on a bad first round choice.

Wayne

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:40 pm

The title should read "Is there an advantage to drafting Brady in the first round in 2008?"

I can win with any starter at QB if my team is stacked enough.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Hard heads

Post by Hard heads » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
The title should read "Is there an advantage to drafting Brady in the first round in 2008?"

I can win with any starter at QB if my team is stacked enough.

~Lance Well said Lance!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:51 pm

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Can you win with Josh McCown, Alex Smith, any Bears QB, any Jets QB, any Bills QB, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Ryan, Jeff Garcia, any KC QB, Jamarcus Russell, any Ravens QB?

No.

The key word is NO. :D ...disagree with this statement as it accurately reflects the past but not the present...SNAKE
[/QUOTE]It was a to be more of a humorous statement Snake, but true in the fact that I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with any of them as a #2, let alone a #1! :eek:

Do tell, which of this morbid bunch you think you could win with?

[ June 12, 2008, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]