NFFC Notables

mkrucek

NFFC Notables

Post by mkrucek » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:32 am

I look at it like this. One end of the luck scale has the card game war. No skill involved, it's all a matter of how the cards are dealt. At the other end is chess. No matter how lucky I may get I'm not beating Bobby Fisher. His skill level is insurmountable. Somewhere in the middle is fantasy football. As Greg says, impossible to put a percentage on, and it will vary from week to week and year to year. You can improve your skill level to move up the "skill ladder" but you will never, ever approach chess. You're just looking for that slight advantage that makes sure luck works more for you rather than against you.

In any event, I'd rather play fantasy football than war or chess.

Lastly, while I don't think anyone expected it, wouldn't it have been nice if we could have taken Snake at his word?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

renman

NFFC Notables

Post by renman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:34 am

If there is this much LUCK involved.. I look forward to when Greg and Tom start other high stakes contests like the "National Coin Clipping Championships" and the "National Paper-Rock-Sissors Championships"

In 2005 I left my NFFC draft thinking I put together the best team of my life based on ADP's and where I got guys. My team "on paper" looked amazing and deep. This team fell on its face. I did get hit hard with bad injuries but I also took Kevin Jones the year he was to be the next big thing and he was horrible and I took J.J. Arrington in the 4th round (I got him later than anyone else in the NFFC) and we all know how that ended up. I had a horrible year. Was it bad luck? No, it was me learning not to wait so long for WR's in the NFFC and not to place that much dependency on RB's in offensive systems I can't trust.

richieprimo

NFFC Notables

Post by richieprimo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:37 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
If Fantasy Football was 99% skill...wouldn't the top skilled players win 99% of the time?

Not talking profiting 99% of the years...but winning 99% of leagues entered.

99% my ass.

Closer to 65% skill than 99% IMO.

~Lance I hate the skill vs. luck talk, as you can tell Lance. But let's relate fantasy football to the NFL. What percentage is skill and what percentage is luck in the NFL? Hell, the Patriots look like 99% skill, whereas the Green Bay Packers might be 70% skill. Like the game itself, you have to be good to succeed, but you also need Lady Luck on your side, with injuries, with the way the ball bounces and with the calls from the officials. It's such a crazy game, which is why we love it so much.

For everyone to put a percentage on the level of luck in fantasy football is a total waste of time because there's luck involved in winning NFL games too. Even the most successful fantasy football owners don't succeed in every league every year, so obviously luck does play a factor in the game. I think EVERYONE understands that. To determine that percentage is foolish because it's impossible. Now fantasy baseball is a little different game and luck is less involved there than football, most would agree.

But I do agree with your "99% my ass" ass-essment!! :D
[/QUOTE]Greg...forget about this luck or skill debate. If you're going to equate fantasy football to the NFL, just make like Roger Goodell and call it "parity" :D
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

SNAKE II

NFFC Notables

Post by SNAKE II » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:39 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
snake 2: will snake 1 join the main event next year if he misses out on the playoffs this year? He talks in the third person, so could you please ask SNAKE 3 to relay to SNAKE 2 to ask SNAKE 1 this question? :D Since he was wrong on both STONE COLD LOCKS this week, does this mean he's off the boards for two weeks? ;) [/QUOTE]Greg,SNAKE wrote that was never in the equation nor posted anywhere. He states that he shall be back to once again impart his ever-so-humble FF wisdom upon the masses and herds after Sunday's games. In the meantime I am still making some extra money by posting for SNAKE in the interim although to tell you the truth, the dude is kind of weird and all.

Gordon Gekko

NFFC Notables

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:40 am

Originally posted by SNAKE II:
Greg,SNAKE wrote that was never in the equation nor posted anywhere. He states that he shall be back to once again impart his ever-so-humble FF wisdom upon the masses and herds after Sunday's games. In the meantime I am still making some extra money by posting for SNAKE in the interim although to tell you the truth, the dude is kind of weird and all. if snake's team posts under 90 pts this weekend, will he still come back to the MB?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

SNAKE II

NFFC Notables

Post by SNAKE II » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:44 am

Originally posted by renman:
If there is this much LUCK involved.. I look forward to when Greg and Tom start other high stakes contests like the "National Coin Clipping Championships" and the "National Paper-Rock-Sissors Championships"

In 2005 I left my NFFC draft thinking I put together the best team of my life based on ADP's and where I got guys. My team "on paper" looked amazing and deep. This team fell on its face. I did get hit hard with bad injuries but I also took Kevin Jones the year he was to be the next big thing and he was horrible and I took J.J. Arrington in the 4th round (I got him later than anyone else in the NFFC) and we all know how that ended up. I had a horrible year. Was it bad luck? No, it was me learning not to wait so long for WR's in the NFFC and not to place that much dependency on RB's in offensive systems I can't trust. According to SNAKE, this post of yours is irrelevant as you never address the issue(s) HERE directly as this portion of the luck debate that is raging here is indeed "NOT about poor drafting but rather about injuries". He also stated that you always seem to make every post, no matter what the subject matter or direction is, about you.

ultimatefs

NFFC Notables

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:46 am

I wonder what would happen if Greg or Tom checked the logged IP addresses.

Bets please.

Let's set an over/under and then change it 12 hours later.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

SNAKE II

NFFC Notables

Post by SNAKE II » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:47 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by SNAKE II:
Greg,SNAKE wrote that was never in the equation nor posted anywhere. He states that he shall be back to once again impart his ever-so-humble FF wisdom upon the masses and herds after Sunday's games. In the meantime I am still making some extra money by posting for SNAKE in the interim although to tell you the truth, the dude is kind of weird and all. if snake's team posts under 90 pts this weekend, will he still come back to the MB? [/QUOTE]Again, I'm just posting for SNAKE but he wrote these two responses here;

1) yes, most certainly (but also added that he doesn't see that as a realistic possibility because his team "MIGHT FINALLY be at full strength for the first time since Week 2".

2) wants you to capitalize SNAKE in your posts.

Quahogs

NFFC Notables

Post by Quahogs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:48 am

quote:Originally posted by renman:

In 2005 I left my NFFC draft thinking I put together the best team of my life based on ADP's and where I got guys. My team "on paper" looked amazing and deep. This team fell on its face. I did get hit hard with bad injuries but I also took Kevin Jones the year he was to be the next big thing and he was horrible and I took J.J. Arrington in the 4th round (I got him later than anyone else in the NFFC) and we all know how that ended up. I had a horrible year. Was it bad luck? No, it was me learning not to wait so long for WR's in the NFFC and not to place that much dependency on RB's in offensive systems I can't trust. According to SNAKE, this post of yours is irrelevant as you never address the issue(s) HERE directly as this portion of the luck debate that is raging here is indeed "NOT about poor drafting but rather about injuries". He also stated that you always seem to make every post, no matter what the subject matter or direction is, about you.
[/QUOTE]LOL :D Snake II got some sass !

Gordon Gekko

NFFC Notables

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:49 am

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by SNAKE II:
Greg,SNAKE wrote that was never in the equation nor posted anywhere. He states that he shall be back to once again impart his ever-so-humble FF wisdom upon the masses and herds after Sunday's games. In the meantime I am still making some extra money by posting for SNAKE in the interim although to tell you the truth, the dude is kind of weird and all. if snake's team posts under 90 pts this weekend, will he still come back to the MB? [/QUOTE]Again, I'm just posting for SNAKE but he wrote these two responses here;

1) yes, most certainly (but also added that he doesn't see that as a realistic possibility because his team "MIGHT FINALLY be at full strength for the first time since Week 2".

2) wants you to capitalize SNAKE in your posts.
[/QUOTE]Ahman Green (knee) sat out Texans practice Wednesday.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?