New League Idea Best of Best WCOFF vs. NFFC

gomizzouman

Post by gomizzouman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Get all of the details worked out prior to 2008 and plan this as a live event in Las Vegas. The draft could be set between the NFFC and WCOFF Main events on Tues, Wed or Thur. Obviously ESPN would cover the live competition.
It takes a great person to be truly humble, and a humble person to be truly great.

gomizzouman

Post by gomizzouman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:12 pm

It could be announced that the top three teams, based on 2007 performance, will compete in the head to head challenge in 2008. Greg, Jesse and Dustin could then pick the remaining team members based on lifetime achievement with preferential treatment to past overall winners.
It takes a great person to be truly humble, and a humble person to be truly great.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:33 am

A lot of good ideas. I hope something comes about from this thread?!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:00 am

I appreciate the ideas on this thread and I apologize for not responding, but my newfound love for golf over the last three days got in the way of business! :D Now after that little reprieve is over, it's back to the grindstone through Draft Day.

As Jesse stated on the WCOFF boards, the two of us will discuss this idea when we both have a little more time to come up for air. My initial thoughts and ones that I e-mailed to both him and Lenny is that I don't want an NFFC vs. WCOFF battle. Just the connotation means that players need to pick sides. Why should Rob Benetti or Todd Ullman -- the NFFC and WCOFF defending champs -- even need to choose which side they're representing when they play in both contests? And what does it prove if the NFFC guys win the NFFC format and the WCOFF guys win the WCOFF format?

Both formats are unique and cool and really should be promoted to both sets of participants. Yeah, I'm sure the NFFC has more to gain from that than the WCOFF has, but to be truthful a lot of our guys have played in the WCOFF for the first time over the last two years because our format introduced them to the whole high-stakes marketplace. We both benefit from cross promoting because both events are so well established.

My personal feeling on this is that I'd almost like to create a Champions of Champions contest that features the best of the NFFC and the best of the WCOFF. Something like Jeopardy does when it has its Champions event. Can you imagine a Thursday afternoon gathering at the WCOFF event before the Thursday night game with our three $100,000 champions plus our two Ultimate League champions competing against the five WCOFF champions and two more top finishers from both contests? Jesse and I could provide the prizes and it would be a great kickoff to their event.

Now I know that not everyone could make it to Las Vegas for that draft and maybe it would be better to host it the Thursday before the NFFC event, but I'm sure we could figure this all out. But a Champions of Champions high-stakes live draft is more appealing to me than an NFFC vs. WCOFF battle. Again, even the name of that seems like one competition against the other and I don't think it's where Jesse and I want to go.

Anyway, we'll get on the phone soon enough to discuss this and other things and see where it leads us. Thanks for the input to this point.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:25 am

Okay, I got a second to post. The rest of my family are on the "super soaker".

Sounds like the right idea greg. Let me know if you get something set up, as I'd have to consider making travel arrangements and putting in some vacation time from my water delivery job.

In any event, tell jesse and dustin to make it a winner take all league for a BIG prize. to be truthful, I don't think many people can compete with me this year.

I'll add this league title to my collection. Could you also engrave the other competitors names on the trophy? When I'm 80, I'd like to look back and see the names of the people who thought they could compete on the same level with me.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:51 am

Come on Greg, we're all in this for competition.

You wouldn't hear Vince Lombardi saying, "I don't want this to be the Bears vs Packers, we're both trying to promote the NFL, why do we want to beat them?" It's fantasy freakin football , get it on!

daveterp55

Post by daveterp55 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:25 am

a trash talking/ message board activity league that sends money to charity...

to me its a great idea as a 2nd league...6 of WCOFF's best vs NFFC's best

Terp

just call it STA

**** Talking Anonymous...I dont feel like spell checking that... : )

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:05 am

I was looking at it like a Chess team environment. Team vs. Team. Not event vs. event.

I think team events could be the nest great thing in FF. Maybe I should just try something like that on my own?

Get your team of 6 versus our team of 6 and let's get it on!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.