6 Viable Options For 2012 FAAB In The NFFC In 2012

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:07 am

Someone requested that I repost my thoughts from across the street here as they thought it brought out the proper reasoning behind the order, so here it is. It is long, so just pass it by if you want. Only posting it here since I was asked to.

My order of preference out of the major options I have heard proposed.

1. Wednesday only.
2. Wednesday and Friday, with ALL players available on the Wednesday wire.
3. Friday only.
4. Dual waivers with only Thursday players available on Wednesday.

The reason I like Wednesday's only are numerous. 7 of the nine places I play at have primary waivers by Thursday morning, no matter if there is a Thursday game or not and they work well. It allows for bidding on all players that week. It also does not make it nearly as time consuming as dual wires would. It allows for a very enjoyable weekend starting with watching the Thursday night game. You don't have the dread of doing wires again Friday or for the first time lurking in your brain while trying to enjoy the game. I don't like waiver wires. Lets get em over with on Thursday with all players able to be bid on easily. This method also involves more skill. It is a misperception by many that more luck will be involved. Not the case at all in my view. Would be awesome to have Friday to go watch high school football, or hit happy hour with the boys and not have to worry about last minute waiver wire news. It would make fantasy football so much more enjoyable for me and I know at least some others feel the same way about it.

The double wire with all players available Wednesday night is next best alternative. The benefits here over option 1 are that you don't have to put in near as many kickers and defenses the first period to cover byes. If you don't get one of the few you put in for, then you do the process more thoroughly Friday. That is not a big deal here as the software is excellent so it hardly takes any time to put in a dozen, but a small benefit nonetheless. Also, it does cover the situations where some bizarre injury happens and enables folks to pick up some emergency backup. It doesn't take a long time to go through the scraps and I would hope my team has 20 people on it most times that would not require my bidding on anyone in this perioed. Will be a bit of a hassle, but not that big a deal.

Option 3, Friday only just doesn't work too well because you are missing out on Thursday players. When byes kick in players from all games are important to have access to in my view. Having access to all of them easily outweighs concerns people have about getting the latest news. We are all even on the news, whenever in the week it is. Again,I feel more skill is required on Wednesday by miles. And I also feel high stakes fantasy football is a game of skill. Having enjoyable Friday evening opportunity is incredibly huge for me personally. What a breath of fresh air that would be. Bust my ass Tuesday and Wednesday on all the wires, Thursday setting the lineups and then busting my ass drowning some cold ones Thursday night with no worry about fiddling with Friday waivers.

4. Having players from Thursdays game only available on Wednesday and running all other players on Friday. This is the only option I literally hate, and it would certainly make me reduce my team counts, especially in the online contest. While it sounds simple and easy on Wednesday to do the Thursday game only, it is not simple. There are all sorts of problems, starting with the fact you cannot do contingency bids on Thursday players. You also have to basically do the whole free agent process then anyway to understand the market depth and to determine how much you should bid on the player. Doing this all on Wednesday and then having to do this all again on Friday? No thanks. Bad idea.

It may come down to the fact I don't enjoy waiver wires. Maybe some actually do. To me it is a necessary evil. Something I have to do. This something has always been done before the first game of the week, and I sure hope it stays that way. I think in time people will adjust to it, and understand it works just fine. As I said it works just fine for 7 of the 9 places I play at. Everyone is on the same playing field no matter when they are run, so lets do it when we can access all players.

Sorry for long winded post, but it is a major issue and I wanted people to understand things they may not have though of regarding each option.

da bears

Post by da bears » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:31 am

I like choice E the best with D being second.
Bauler Shot Caller

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:38 am

I've corrected my initial post to add one more option. There wasn't much love for it on the previous thread, but it is another option to consider:

f) 1 FAAB period: Thursday afternoon only FAAB before the Thursday Night Game; no other FAAB after the game

So now there are six choices. Again, process of elimination is the goal and if we come down to two choices we'll have a fun debate on those choices and get it done right. Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:42 am

I love that one personally, but not a good idea for your game, as it is the option that creates the most potential for some people to be at a disadvantage. For some, it would be a struggle just getting a lineup in. For others, they would feel like they were at a disadvantage not being able to get bids changed while at work, if and when an important injury tidbit came in. A late night deadline helps take that out of play.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:48 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
I love that one personally, but not a good idea for your game, as it is the option that creates the most potential for some people to be at a disadvantage. For some, it would be a struggle just getting a lineup in. For others, they would feel like they were at a disadvantage not being able to get bids changed while at work, if and when an important injury tidbit came in. A late night deadline helps take that out of play. Agreed, but I do want to cover all the bases here (you know I'm in baseball mode Chad :D ) and I felt bad that I left that one out. Like you said, it's a great option for a local league on the East Coast maybe, but it might be tough for a national contest like ours. But still, it is an option and I felt bad leaving it off the original list. Now that should be complete.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 am

D is my choice.. Followed by A

thegambler

Post by thegambler » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:00 am

D

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 am

E then D with much dislike for F
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:22 am

A and D
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Hog Wild 20

Post by Hog Wild 20 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:42 am

D