Week 6 Top 30

JerseyPaul

Week 6 Top 30

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:22 am

Okay, slot doesn't matter, UFS.

If I told you before you agreed to pay your fee that you would have draft slot #13, would you play?

Please, answer honestly.

kjduke

Week 6 Top 30

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:43 pm

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
If you think your slot is a hinderence, then you simply aren't as skilled as you think you are. Period. End of story. That's BS. sorry. [/QUOTE]The data from 20 years of UFS and 6 weeks of this event proves other wise. What's sorry is that you have no data to prove your point, and can only answer, "that's BS" every time you don't agree with something.

As Tom Cruise once said, "SHOW ME THE DATA!!"
[/QUOTE]John, here is the problem with your data. Results from 150 years still won't be good data when it comes to proving whether or not a particular player is better or worse in a particular draft from a particular desired slot.

I believe, from your earlier posts, that your primary conclusion is that good players tend to win no matter where they draft from. OK. That doesn't prove whether a particular player would do (or has done) better or worse for himself if picking from his desired draft slot.

To me, you are basing your entire argument on an observation which may be correct, but extending that observation to a conclusion that you can't possibly support. As for data, I don't have any - fortunately, I don't need any to prove the fallacy of your argument.

Now I can appreciate your data in refuting the argument that someone can't win from any slot. No doubt that argument has been proven wrong many times.

[ October 20, 2004, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Route Collectors

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:43 pm

[/qb]The data from 20 years of UFS and 6 weeks of this event proves other wise. What's sorry is that you have no data to prove your point, and can only answer, "that's BS" every time you don't agree with something.

As Tom Cruise once said, "SHOW ME THE DATA!!" [/QB][/quote]

I wonder what sort of DATA the Wright Bros. used before they took the initial flight on the outer banks of N.C.? Edison? Eli Whitney? Bell?

What do all of these have in common?

They ACCOMPLISHED something that had no history (DATA) of having worked before. All had scoffers and naysayers to contend with. True pioneers do not traditionally have specific data to guide them.

That being said, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Okay, maybe a little. ;) My suggestion to Greg/Tom is - run a poll toward the end of the season. You can use the newsletter. Explain the rules of bidding on draft slots, list a few highlight pros and cons and let the people have a voice. In terms of customer base, it will help you understand your current market which will help you fulfill the basic requirement of any business - Supply the people what they want.

I like the bidding idea, but I'm in either way next year.

By the way - I'm only a 6th year player (an infant compared to most of you) and I understand this concept completely. For those who argue that this concept is too confusing to grasp, especially the lesser experienced player. Grow up!
:rolleyes:

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:54 pm

The data from 20 years of UFS and 6 weeks of this event proves other wise. What's sorry is that you have no data to prove your point, and can only answer, "that's BS" every time you don't agree with something.

As Tom Cruise once said, "SHOW ME THE DATA!!" john, i've seen you talking about your 20 years of data before, with specific strategies for each draft location. with all of this data, you should be a shoo-in to win this thing in the next 2-3 years, correct? certainly one of your top gamers should destroy the competition in this league. why not pay their entry fee next year and split the profits with them? fair question?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TradeStar28

Week 6 Top 30

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:58 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
The data from 20 years of UFS and 6 weeks of this event proves other wise. What's sorry is that you have no data to prove your point, and can only answer, "that's BS" every time you don't agree with something.

As Tom Cruise once said, "SHOW ME THE DATA!!" john, i've seen you talking about your 20 years of data before, with specific strategies for each draft location. with all of this data, you should be a shoo-in to win this thing in the next 2-3 years, correct? certainly one of your top gamers should destroy the competition in this league. why not pay their entry fee next year and split the profits with them? fair question?
[/QUOTE]Shut up already and go watch the Yankees game, you idiot!

Lol
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:01 pm

As Tom Cruise once said, "SHOW ME THE DATA!!" how much of your 20 year data involves leagues where trading is banned, and the only way to field a good team is through draft or FA pickups? i have my guess and subsequent conclusion, but await your response. Thanks.

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:06 pm

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Shut up already and go watch the Yankees game, you idiot!

Lol i talked to the water delivery guy today about you. he said you are jealous. his sister-in-law is a shrink. i don't know what he means or if he's accurate, but i thought i'd pt it out.

honestly, if you don't like my posts, please don't read them or respond to them with calling me names. it's best for both of us if you just ignore me, agreed?
LOL
THANKS

TradeStar28

Week 6 Top 30

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:28 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Shut up already and go watch the Yankees game, you idiot!

Lol i talked to the water delivery guy today about you. he said you are jealous. his sister-in-law is a shrink. i don't know what he means or if he's accurate, but i thought i'd pt it out.

honestly, if you don't like my posts, please don't read them or respond to them with calling me names. it's best for both of us if you just ignore me, agreed?
LOL
THANKS
[/QUOTE]Was it the Poland Spring or Great Bear delivery guy?

"Oh let me drop DOmanick Davis because I am upset that he sprained his ****** and he doesnt get me enough points...."

Get real !

Let me ask you something you may know better....

In the movie Wall Street - Why does Bud sit around in his boxer shorts trading Deutschemark futures?
Isn't he only barely qualified as a retail equities broker?

Thanx ! :D

[ October 21, 2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Dyv

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Dyv » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:37 pm

quote:Originally posted by Dyv:
There appears to be a very clear camp that says "I hate change, I refuse to think about what you are saying... I'm not going to consider it and, oh... yeah.. um, it would confuse people! Yeah, confuse them!"

I know, I know - and the Republicans are intimidating old people and black people from voting and the Democrats insist Bush is going to put in a draft, etc. In the real world, we call those 'scare tactics'

I asked earlier in my post and others have tried here as well, 1 SIMPLE question:

IGNORING THE NEGATIVE FOR JUST ONE SECOND... do we all agree, without question, that if the system were simple and perfectly understandable by everyone, that bidding for a draft slot would be good?

(Again, imagine everyone in a league understood it fully... is it good that someone can have SOME control over their draft slot?)

Please answer directly, not as if you were Kerry in a debate. Dave, always enjoy your posts...

I'm a zero bid guy, but I like GG's idea.

It could easily be implemented.

How?

When you submit your application and check, there is one additional sheet of paper. It has:

Your Name:_____________________
Team Name:_____________________
League # _________ (to be filled in by office)

Blah blah blah explanation of bid process...

Your max bid for draft position:
1________
2________
14_______

Results to be posted on the message board when leagues are randomly drawn.
[/QUOTE]I'd put in some marginal bid for the positions I like and take whatever I get. I'd rather have the FA dollars and would actually PREFER a later slot... that would be awesome ;)

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

JerseyPaul

Week 6 Top 30

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:18 pm

Based on Liquid's last post, which really made him look good....

Time to close this thread.