Anyone Pick Up Football Mags Yet?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 am

I went to a Wal-Mart yesterday with my kids and wandered over to the newsstand rack to see if our first issue of Fantasy Sports Magazine was live yet. Sure enough it was there, right in front without me even moving other magazines!! :D But I was shocked to see at least eight other fantasy football magazines available.

Is it just me or does it seem like the magazines are coming out earlier each year? I remember when we used to be the first magazine out there with an early June release, but now there are close to a dozen out there with us. Crazy.

I'm glad to see that magazines are still around, but it will be interesting to see how this area of the market progresses with the iPad growing in the future. We are doing five Fanball magazines this year and I believe all five will also be available on the iPad. It will be interesting to see how sales compare between the two mediums because I think every publisher would love to eliminate the high print and paper costs and sell more via the iPad. We'll be among the first in the industry to test this out.

Let me know which issues you pick up and which ones you like and don't like. What the heck, pick ours apart, pick others apart, just buy them and talk about them!! :D I hope all of the publishers do well this year because I'd hate to see print go away. But the iPad is definitely going to change this market going forward.

Oh, and if you want to order all five Fanball print titles, just go to:

http://www.fanball.com/store/

Then click on the 5-pack special for $29.95 and save $5 by entering the promo: nffc5save. That will get NFFC members all five issues home delivered for $24.95. Enjoy and thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

batoj

Post by batoj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:15 am

Didn't work, I entered the code and it still says the price is 29.95

Jim Wiseheart

Post by Jim Wiseheart » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 am

I went to my local Borders at lunch on Friday. Fantasy Sports was there along with 3 others. I usually buy 3-4 fantasy football mags a year, earlier vs. later just to get my fix in during the down time before training camp.

You'll be glad to know that I did buy a copy of Fantasy Sports. It is very nice. I especially like the content from and about NFFC players - the sleepers/busts, the two strategy articles, and the money makers profiles and top 50. I also always enjoy the mock drafts.

I buy magazines with the most information that could help me with ranking players - things like strength of schedule, realistic projections, number of targets, multi-year stat history, game-by-game stats from last year, and a high number of players ranked. I buy mags that have the most stats to chew on. Several magazines have totally unrealistic projections and I avoid those altogether. There are a few that are consistently overinflated.

I'm just excited to see the mags out because that means the season is just around the corner.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 am

I am definitely heading for B&N tonight on the way home. :cool:
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 am

I picked up Fantasy Sports and the NFL.com magazines. I really liked Fantasy Sports, it had a lot of good stuff, the player analysis and rankings, money winner article, and mock drafts were all good. I also like reading about last years champions. The NFL.com magazine isn't so great, the player analysis is kind of weak. The interesting articles are the sleeper and breakout articles, but one could read that stuff in about five minutes at the newsstand, its not worth nine dollars.
One of my favorite magazines is the Fantasy Football Pro Forecast, (the one with the two footballs as the O's and has Emil Kadlec as the editor), this book as the most information and I find very useful, but it generally does not come out to early. I'll get it when it comes out along with the other Fantasy Sports mags. :D

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:18 am

I picked up The Fantasy Sport mag at kroger a couple of days ago. It looks good. I can see the collaboration between NFFC and fanball in the look of the mag. I think it was a good mix. It doesn't look exactly like a typical fanball mag nor does it look like ours in the past. I was happy to see you guys got my sleeper in there. Justin Forsett is looking a little better these days.

sky t 2 hotty

Post by sky t 2 hotty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 am

The fanball Fantasy Sports mag was my first of course. It has been a good read with nice articles and player tidbits, the player rankings are a bit off though (imo).

Foxsports.com is also out. It's probably the worst I've bought so far. I just don't like the layout in any way.

Fantasy League Football is another. I noticed they were pushing people to join rotobowl but had a lot of adds for fanball games. (?) Not much I liked about this one either.

I've enjoyed reading NFL.com fantasy football preview mag. I like reading Gil Brandt's view on players. The 'power number' view is interesting as well.

By far, in my opinion, the best so far is the Pro Football Weekly/Yahoo Sports 2010 Preview (although not really a fantasy mag). I like the complete '09 game-by-game stat breakdown for every player/team. There's a lot of stats in this book and I'm a big number freak. *NOTE* I had 2 favorite magazines last year and this was one of 'em!

batoj

Post by batoj » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:46 am

Greg, is there a reason the code doesn't work for me?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:43 am

Originally posted by Bato:
Greg, is there a reason the code doesn't work for me? I cc'd you on the email to Charlie. We definitely will honor the $5 discount on your order and I'll ask them to get that code set for others who want to order the 5-pack. It really is a good deal for home delivery before they hit the newsstands. Sorry about this, but if this happens to anyone else just email me at [email protected].
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Old School

Post by Old School » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:53 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Bato:
Greg, is there a reason the code doesn't work for me? I cc'd you on the email to Charlie. We definitely will honor the $5 discount on your order and I'll ask them to get that code set for others who want to order the 5-pack. It really is a good deal for home delivery before they hit the newsstands. Sorry about this, but if this happens to anyone else just email me at [email protected]. [/QUOTE]Didn't work for me either...