Time to get rid of head to head play

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:09 am

The more "Live Drafts" the better. :D

NFFC needs to have the same two drafts on Labor weekend and than two more the 1st Football weekend! Four yep 4 Contests!

John

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 am

Originally posted by Raiders:

NFFC needs to have the same two drafts on Labor weekend and than two more the 1st Football weekend! Four yep 4 Contests!

John I heard from a little birdie that it may be TWO separate weekends (the one's you mentioned) with TWO contests. :D

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:10 am

The situation is much different in the online league...maybe for the classic H2H makes little difference. The online league it means a ton though. 1st place is highest pts scored and 2nd place is H2H...so if a team has the 2nd most pts but another team that is 300 pts behind that team has 1 more win they get in.

So if the final standings are as follows

Team A 9-4 2000 pts
Team B 8-5 1500 pts
Team C 7-6 1800 pts

Team A and Team B get into the playoffs.

So in the online constest H2H means a ton. I am not in the classic only the online league so I guess it makes a ton of difference as the rules are way way different.

Only 2 teams in the online league get to the playoffs and the team with 2nd most pts means nothing unless he also has at least a share for 1st place in H2H (or 2nd if 1st place H2H has most pts)
2023 NFFC Cutline Champion and 4th place ($90,000) (1720 teams)
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion and 4th place ($110,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:16 am

I DON'T THINK THAT IS CORRECT HENRY. WITH THE DATA YOU HAVE GIVEN TEAMS A AND C WOULD MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

B WOULD BE ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN.

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Not in the online league...they give the 1st spot to the most pts team...2nd spot to the H2H best remaining record. This I do not like but it is this way.
2023 NFFC Cutline Champion and 4th place ($90,000) (1720 teams)
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion and 4th place ($110,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Raiders:

John I heard from a little birdie that it may be TWO separate weekends (the one's you mentioned) with TWO contests. :D
[/QUOTE]Actually, folks should be very careful about making posts like this, especially on our boards. I can understand it when speculation runs rampant on competing boards, but people really should have the facts when posting something like this on our boards. Some birdies chirp too loud and don't have all of the facts.

At no time have we ever said that we are expanding the NFFC to two weekends. We are busy enough running the NFFC and setting up the NFBC to say anything like that. We are running the NFBC over two weekends this year because we have offered other national contests like the Live Double Play and the NFBC Auction Championship, but we're not sure if a model like that would be right for football. We're still looking into everything.

That being said, we'd be stupid not to look at both weekends of football to see if there is anything there for us. We've talked to a lot of game operators about the possibilities of working together and we've asked NFFC members for their advice. But at no time have we said anything that Billy is suggesting here. This two-weekend scenario has been suggested on other boards, again without checking the facts, but that's about it. I didn't respond there because it was idle gossip, but something like this here needs to be repeated with the facts.

We will continue to explore our options for football in 2010, but rest assured that the NFFC will return on Labor Day weekend and anything beyond that is just speculation from people outside of our internal meetings. We're still formulating those plans so don't believe everything you read or hear.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:21 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Raiders:

[/QUOTE]Actually, folks should be very careful about making posts like this, especially on our boards. I can understand it when speculation runs rampant on competing boards, but people really should have the facts when posting something like this on our boards. Some birdies chirp too loud and don't have all of the facts.

At no time have we ever said that we are expanding the NFFC to two weekends. We are busy enough running the NFFC and setting up the NFBC to say anything like that. We are running the NFBC over two weekends this year because we have offered other national contests like the Live Double Play and the NFBC Auction Championship, but we're not sure if a model like that would be right for football. We're still looking into everything.

That being said, we'd be stupid not to look at both weekends of football to see if there is anything there for us. We've talked to a lot of game operators about the possibilities of working together and we've asked NFFC members for their advice. But at no time have we said anything that Billy is suggesting here. This two-weekend scenario has been suggested on other boards, again without checking the facts, but that's about it. I didn't respond there because it was idle gossip, but something like this here needs to be repeated with the facts.

We will continue to explore our options for football in 2010, but rest assured that the NFFC will return on Labor Day weekend and anything beyond that is just speculation from people outside of our internal meetings. We're still formulating those plans so don't believe everything you read or hear.
[/QUOTE]I just shot the little birdie, Greg. ;)

My apologies for bringing this up.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:45 am

No worries Billy. I just needed to set the record straight.

I know that all fantasy owners want to know what the landscape is going to look like in 2010 and I don't blame them. But I'm not sure even the game operators know what it will look like nine months from now. Ryan and I just came back from a conference in New York and there are plenty of fantasy properties for sale or looking to merge or any other number of things, so I'm sure things will shake out between now and then.

We want to get bigger and grow what we already have here at the NFFC. But we may grow in other ways outside of your idea. Or maybe we'll go the route you suggested. We're not sure right now. But when we make that decision, we want to be the ones to officially do it. And trust me, we're not there yet.

But Labor Day weekend isn't changing as far as I know. We still like the doubleheader, we still like the Online Championship and a live version of that too, and we'd love to grow a national Auction Championship and a national Draft Champions Championship. We'll see if we have time to do all of this going forward. So stay tuned.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:53 am

As for the subject of this topic, I understand the pain of h2h first hand, but in the NFFC Online Championship the Top 10 percent of all total points teams are guaranteed a spot in the Championship Round, so total points should always be your first priority. We believe that over a 13-week season h2h will work itself out and going 13 weeks for the regular season is far better than going 11 weeks and having a two-week playoff with only four teams. That just doesn't work in my mind for the Online Championship.

The setup we have now rewards total points in each league and rewards h2h. The second most total points could get squeezed out of a payout as Henry said, but going to a total points league is BORING. Sorry, just my opinion. And if that second total points team is worthy of making the Championship Round, then the wild card is there for him or her. Finish in the Top 52 teams and you'll make the Championship Round regardless.

Trust me, I know how h2h works. In the WCOFF and the FFPC, Ryan and I are third and second in our league in total points. We're also 6-4 and 5-5. In the WCOFF, the team in first is 10-0 and first in total points. We are only 46 points behind him and just 5-5. How can that happen? His opponents have scored 363.5 points less against him than ours have. 36.35 LESS POINTS PER GAME!!! So we feel everyone's pain.

H2H is part of fantasy football, good and bad. Keep scoring lots of points and there's an avenue for you to win money in the NFFC Online Championship.

bill

Post by bill » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:56 am

Before I came to the NFFC Leagues last year I had been in leagues for about 6 years where head to head records were the only thing that determined who made it to the playoffs. I really like the way the NFFC has incorporated total points into determining many of the playoff spots.

But, my personal preference is for all-play records to matter as much or more than total points and head to head records. Any chance that next year the NFFC could offer a few leagues where all-play records are used to determine some of the playoff spots?? Maybe a satellite league where there are 4 playoff spots. One playoff spot for H-to-H, one for total points and 2 spots for all-play records.

Could we also have a couple satellite leagues where all the playoff spots are determined by all-play records??

I completely understand why head to head is important to have in almost all the leagues. But, why not just a few satellite leagues that incorporate all-play into the playoff positions??