Greg/Tom Put Out This Fire !!!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Again, I will clarify that Jeff had the SECOND OVERALL pick and obviously knew who he wanted before his pick was made. He wanted MJD and the autopick gave him Forte. I made the ruling and Jeff took MJD and the other guy took Forte. I don't believe anyone else after that changed their pick.

We will make all decisions fairly tomorrow too. So let's have fun and hopefully with the phones in place with the online site, there will not be any needed decisions by me. The voice pick is the official pick, so we should be good to go.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

HIROLLERJR

Post by HIROLLERJR » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:39 pm

I have been in a fair amount of drafts here, both football & baseball and I don't think there's been a night when this hasn't happened. I've seen it in the first round 4th round and much later, but I've yet to see anyone complain over how the moderators addressed the situation and I applaud Greg, Tom and staff for stating how they are going to deal with this issue and then sticking by it. I think if you are flexible with your draft strategy, then you'll be able to adjust to any situation. Fortunately online players bring a great addition to the NFBC & NBBC family, but unfortunately when dealing with computers in many ways such as servers, wireless networks, dsl's etc. you're going to have failure and it's not the players fault so why penalize them? It's a great game managed by a great staff played by a pretty awesome group of guys & girls, so whenever there's a computer glitch just adjust your strategy and understand that the player has no control over the computer & never wanted something like this to happen in the first place. Even though I feel as I have a pretty strong solid computer system, I always have in the back of my mind that what we are discussing here could still happen to me at anytime and I would feel terrible for the group I am drafting with but then again I have no control on when or how or if this is going to happen. I just hope everybody understands as I have seen so far.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:54 am

First of all, I agree with the ruling.

Secondly though, it appears that Danny's point is that the next six picks were "revealed" to the drafters, perhaps exposing a draft strategy that otherwise would been unknown.

What I'm interested in knowing is this: It appears that the 2nd and 3rd picks were simply switched. Were the next 6 picks ANY DIFFERENT than they were in the original drafting order? If not, there was zero harm. If there was a change, I can certainly see Danny's point as this "sneak peak" may have changed somebody's mind as to who should be picked.

Again, I agree with the ruling, but anyone who says it doesn't really matter because it's "just the 1st Round" are missing the point IMO. We all rank players in a certain order for a reason, whether it's because of talent, situation, or injury risk. If it doesn't matter what players are chosen in the 1st Round, why don't we just make it a random drawing for everyone's first pick and then start drafting in the 2nd Round?

There's no perfect solution here. I fully understand your point, Danny, but I think the ruling was correct here.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

stormola

Post by stormola » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:17 am

I personally would be more hesitant to spend $950 and draft online if common sense and fairness wasn't in play . The way this situation was handled makes me more comfortable and inclined to spend large dollar amounts for an online draft . I don't want to see anyone get the wrong guy because their computer froze or whatever and it is possible to fix the situation .

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:18 am

Ah, the perfect strategy...You're at 10 and you use the "got disconnected" strategy!

Computer autopicks a RB for you but you really want a WR. Now, while the commish is being contacted, the next 8 picks come off the board getting back to you. You get to see that the person @11 is going WR/WRand wants the WR you get @10.

Now, everything is reset. You now get your guy, screw the next guy, and get a peek at everyone else's strategery.

That is a very possible situation that rolling back more than 1 pick gets you.

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, just giving food for thought.

If this is how it will be ruled, I would ask that for next year that MDC be loaded with the NFFC's ADP instead of their current list, which I believe they use for all types of drafts.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

trueblue

Post by trueblue » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:32 am

obviously if you lose connection, you can't hit the commish button. so just to be safe, in any drafts i have done online, i always have the commish's number dialed into my phone in case i have any problems. if everyone would expect the worst case, this could be prevented.

bill

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:41 am

Originally posted by stormola:
I personally would be more hesitant to spend $950 and draft online if common sense and fairness wasn't in play . The way this situation was handled makes me more comfortable and inclined to spend large dollar amounts for an online draft . I don't want to see anyone get the wrong guy because their computer froze or whatever and it is possible to fix the situation . I agree with this post 100%,dont want to see anyone get screwed because of a computer glitch.
I had issues connecting in the first online draft,and called both mdc numbers,and got voicemail both times.While leaving a message on the 2nd line,Tom called me to let me know i could get online,it was an mdc issue.Now i am not saying Geoff or mdc doesnt answer the phone,that site works quite well most of the time and Geoff is a very good commish,my point is sometimes things happen,nothing is perfect,and i think NFFC does the right thing in these situations.

HIROLLERJR

Post by HIROLLERJR » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:17 am

I too see what you are saying Just Russ & that could very well be the case ( I would hope not but definitely possible ), but I totally agree with Kentuckyreign in that once the system goes down there is no "PAUSE DRAFT" button to hit anymore and by the time system gets back up 2 to 8 picks could very easily pass by depending on how fast group is drafting. ( heck the other night drafting with SOME OF THE NFFC WILEY VETERANS, I don't remember them taking over 30 seconds to make a pick from round 1 thru 20 making for a sub or close 2 hour draft & they were rolling on the MB at the same time--never missed a beat! ). As "Kentuckyreign" mentioned above though, I think you have to keep that phone beside you with number dialed in & hope for quick answer from moderator, but even this route could (will probably) possibly let picks go by . It's just an unfortunate deal either way you look at it but I guess thats always going to be a possibility in the online programs. I don't think you'll see today in MAIN EVENT because moderator will be speaking to you personnally and he will immediately know if you have lost contact by just asking 'are you there" and if no answer there will be a call before draft moves to next pick.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:14 am

I fully understand. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:15 am

Greg / Tom , corrct me if i am wrong , but if I throw a few players in my QUE ( PrePick Window ) , before my PC goes down , will not MDC still take those pick from my Q ?

I don.t know about the rest of you , but as much as i love this game if Jennifer Lopez knocked on my door durring the draft , I'M ANSWERING THE DOOR :D

THATS WHAT YOUR PREPICK WINDOW IS FOR :cool:
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower